The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which mobile or smartphone?

tbourner

iPhone pants? its managed to knock out 95% profit from Nokia and they blame the iPhone for this (was in metro recently). They hit back with a Nokia N97...which is not a patch on the iPhone (got hold of this recently). I have quite a number of phones and normally get a new every 6 months through work, but since having the iPhone every upgrade has gone to my sisters and the missus.

I found the Nokia N97 keyboard alright but still difficult as some of the buttons I had to apply a lot of pressure. The screen was pretty okay, but found the phone slow in response. There seems to be a lot on the market mate, I'd go into a phone shop and have a feel, I think thats one of the main things... reading reviews etc are great and these threads are good to narrow your choice down but the final decision should be made with some live comparison's.

Or get yourself some time and get an iphone and thank me later ;)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mind waiting a bit, so any phones on the way are worth looking at. The Android one looks nice.

//edit: What's the difference between different OSs then?

Quite a lot... OS (not sure if you know this) is basically Operating System, like in if you have windows XP or windows Vista. The windows mobile OS has not been great though the latest version 6 I think I last tested was pretty okay and crashed more rarely and only needed to be rebooted once a week.

Android is a new web-based OS created by Google, seems great so far, used a few Android OS's phone and seem better than WM.

iPhone uses the Apple OS, if you ever had an Apple laptop you would understand how good their OS are. An remember they have been building PC's for a long time... in fact the first user interface PC was a Apple? (correct me if I am wrong, but that when Windows starting moving away from DOS!).

Now go get an iPhone :D

I am also due and upgrade on t mobile and only use my phone for calls/pics.

I currently have a n95 and have been offered a blackberry, samsung tocco ultra and the sony ericsson w995.

I am edging towards the either the samsung or w995 because of the 8 megapixel camera.

Hate upgrading as i know jack all about new phones but am thinking w995 unless someone already has it and knows about any probs.

P.s bonus is Mazuma will give me £95 for my old n95!

Genuinely don't understand anyone who says the iPhone is "pants". It's the best phone on the market by a country mile. Its app support is phenomenal and no other company - especially Nokia - can hope to counter that for a long time yet. Only Google would have any real chance but the Android just doesn't seem to be quite that good - yet.

I had a N95, a N95 8gb then an N96 on 12 month contracts each. The N95 was *way* ahead of its competitors at the time, and the 8gb was just an improvement on that. The N96 on the other hand was a huge failure. Slower processor than the N95 8gb and significantly more buggy. None of the mail functions work properly with POP3/IMAP accounts on over 80% of retailed phones. It's a bit better looking but its keys are less pronounced and therefore more difficult to text on.

Either way though, none of those phones can even be compared to the iPhone. The 3G S is just amazing. I have 30gb of music which can be played on my Bose Sounddock anywhere at home, or I can plug it in to my new DVD/iPhone HU to play audio or video in the car. I have unlimited data to get on IRC/MSN/Facebook/any webpages and it's *so* much easier to browse with the iPhone's touch>move&resize format than it is on any of the aforementioned N series phones. Even small things like the way the calendar and alarms work, and the way every app communicates and integrates so seamlessly with each other - that's something Nokia have never managed.

I used to be a huge Nokia fanboy but the N96 was just a total flop in my eyes. I never thought I'd move over to Apple products (*spit* :D) but I'm positive I'll be keeping this phone for a good few years yet.

I currently have a n95 and have been offered a blackberry, samsung tocco ultra and the sony ericsson w995.

I am edging towards the either the samsung or w995 because of the 8 megapixel camera.

Hate upgrading as i know jack all about new phones but am thinking w995 unless someone already has it and knows about any probs.

If thats all you use your phone for, may i suggest you keep it, and get T-Mobile to give you half price billing til you do upgrade.

My last phone was an N95 & a cracking little phone it was too.

Genuinely don't understand anyone who says the iPhone.

I want to have a phone to call and text. Its only other use will be for web access but more taking pics on move.

so for me the Iphone is pants as the camera is very poor compared to the latest models of phones. If it had a good camera id get it but for what i want it is unfortuantly pants :D

Either way though, none of those phones can even be compared to the iPhone. The 3G S is just amazing. I have 30gb of music which can be played on my Bose Sounddock anywhere at home, or I can plug it in to my new DVD/iPhone HU to play audio or video in the car. I have unlimited data to get on IRC/MSN/Facebook/any webpages and it's *so* much easier to browse with the iPhone's touch>move&resize format than it is on any of the aforementioned N series phones. Even small things like the way the calendar and alarms work, and the way every app communicates and integrates so seamlessly with each other - that's something Nokia have never managed.

Yes. Yes. Yes. But can you make telephone calls with it?

Yes. Yes. Yes. But can you make telephone calls with it?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/30/smart_phone_testing/

:p

Aside from this, the iPhone is a really good smartphone. With the marketplace you've also got an unparalleled application development base.

Also integrates nicely with iTunes, so apart from the Palm Pre it's one of the best for organising and sorting your media collection if you're going to use it for music/movies/photo.

That and I'm waiting to see what the TomTom GPS program/cradle is going to be like for it.

I used to love Nokia Communicators, I'm not an iPhone fan boy, I think my one niggle with the iPhone is the battery life is not the best.

Genuinely don't understand anyone who says the iPhone is "pants".

My main issue with the iPhone is that yes, while it does have a nice interface, it lacks many basic features.

For example, the original iPhone couldn't send MMS messages, and didn't have 3G. Both things that every other phone has had for years.

Then they bring out the iPhone 3G which can send MMS, and finally has 3G... but still can't do video, something which every other phone... you get the picture.

Then they bring out the 3GS, that's "a bit faster" and finally does video. Now I don't know anything else about the 3GS so it may finally do everything that even basic phones from other manufacturers have done for years.

My main problem with the iPhone is it's a fashion thing, I know of at least 5 people at work who have them and hold them in front of them pretty much constantly, just walking around, always flicking it with their finger. They look like total plums. I've always gone for phones that nobody's heard of and isn't in the limelight, like the X820 I had. Now I'm looking at better phones I'm having to go for things that other people have as well but I just can't go down the iPhone road.

Also, isn't it just an iPod with a phone attached? I've never had a need for an iPod as the only music I ever listen to is when someone phones me, and even then it's usually put onto silent 2 mins later cos I'm embarrased to have it going off in a meeting (unlike everyone else it seems).

I've also never had an Apple product, so I've no idea how good/bad they are in relation to everything else.

Basically; I don't want an iPhone.

So, I might wait and see if some better stuff comes out, maybe this new Android stuff, then I can go and play with some phones if they'll let me.

For example, the original iPhone couldn't send MMS messages, and didn't have 3G. Both things that every other phone has had for years....(plus other intelligent stuff)
This was my complaint with the iPhone too. The original version was certainly very pretty and slick - and spawned a series of look-a-likes - but it wasn't overly 'smart' for a smart phone. At the time I went a different route with a WM powered device and have been very happy with it.

Now the iPhone has finally got it's smarts with the 3G S version I'm looking into it as a possible candidate for my new phone (although the 2 copies my mate has had came with duff touch screens!)

Others, for me, are the HTC Touch Diamond 2, and the Touch Pro 2 or maybe some Android based device, but not 100% on them yet.

I found that tocco ultra so slow and cr@p I sent it back within an hour of opening the box. Texting was a mare, the camera actually wasn't all that clever, certainly no better than your 95's is and the widgets were more of an annoyance than help. If you like the 95's camera and style of use I suspect you'll get on better with the sony. My mrs has the C905 and thats a great piece of kit. I would have thought you'd get double what mazuma are offering for your phone on ebay.

Trev to give you an idea of how good the htc tp2 is I've typed this whole response out on the slide out qwerty keyboard of my phone. Its got a half reasonable camera (no flash which is a pain) fully utiliseable gps that operates with a number of after market navigation programs, already has compatable car cradles and chargers, has a growing base of applications for wm6 which has yet to ever crash on me (in fact wm5 on previous phone never crashed on me either) and its fully tweakable if you learn how to reg edit and build radios and kitchens or just instal ones other people have written. Its fully msn messenger compliant and operates like text messaging if you leave it running in the background (get vibration alerts on incoming msn messages). Its compatable with all ms office applications and comes pre-loaded with them. Also pre-loaded with a pdf reader. Its got a funny feature that if you place it screen down it'll automatically go into speaker phone mode.

It also makes phone calls.

I've had a look at some in the shops, I think I prefer the Curve to the Bold and I like the BBs over any of the other's I've been looking at - they're not as big and bulky as I thought!

What's up with the Curve not having 3G though? What can I expect to miss out on without 3G? Is it just for video calls and stuff cos I don't use that anyway! It's got WiFi which I should be able to get on most of the time.

What else do I need to be aware of with a Curve? Anything FW upgrades or software patches or anything I'm going to need to put on?

Not really, My Girlfriend has the curve and there's no problems or complaints from it (for a change ;))

3G mainly is about video calls and Skype etc. But, on the BB you can download a program called iSkoot which gives you those benefits.

• 1 month later...