The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which mobile or smartphone?

tbourner

It's upgrade time again, so as usual on here I'm asking other people what I should be liking. :D

I've never had a smartphone and not sure if I'd like it or use it or understand how to get all the apps and mods and hacks and whatever it is people do with them.

At the moment I've got a Samsung Tocco which I still love. It does everything I need and it's nice enough. I like small phones as well so something dinky like that is good. I used to have the X820 which I also loved, and would have gone on to the U100 if the camera was better.

Anyway, now I'm looking at smartphones as well as upgrades to what I'm currently using. I can use the touchscreen fine but I like the idea of a full keyboard. My shortlist so far:

Samsung Blade

Samsung Jet

Blackberry Bold 9000

Nokia N97

So. How easy is it to use a smartphone? Zoe's got the Omnia and it confuses the hell out of me with the start menu and all the funny items to choose from - I just want to switch the damn flashlight on how the hell do I do it!! She's no better she just uses it for basics - will I be able to learn how to use all the fancy gizmos? Should I just get the Blade and be done with it? Is the N97 as massive as the N96?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Nokia N97 is larger than the N96 by quite a bit. But there are no advancements in technology, i.e. doesn't offer anything more than those of the N95 8GB or N96.

Blackberry Bold is good for e-mail and communication but again quite large.

The Samsung Jet, is similar to the Tocco so you'll be quite familiar with how it works.

My advice would be to go to a mobile phone retailer and ask for a live demonstration of your preferred choice. I know that '3' has the Bold, N97 and Jet. But no Blade (No idea what that one is :D)

Always worth an ask :)

i got the blackberry bold on friday and im very impressed with it so far :) isnt to big and works realy well. The screen is very good. Very bright and clear and like previously stated very good for email and communication. Internet is also very good. If you never had a blackberry before then it take a bit to get used to but it doesnt take long to figure out

iPhones are pants!! The Touch HD is nice but not available on Vodafone AFAIK. :(

I'm thinking it's between the Jet and the Bold at the moment, simple upgrade or something different. Last time it was upgrade from X820-U100 or go for the Tocco and I went with something different in the end - maybe I should start reading up on how Blackberry's work now!!

You won't use all the fancy gizmos. They are there to bamboozle, and no to add true and lasting deeper meaning to our lives. Illusion of more choice when there is none. We came down from the trees, for what? To choose between an N97 and a Blackberry gold 2000? What have we come to as a race?

Get the blackberry.

iPhones are pants!! The Touch HD is nice but not available on Vodafone AFAIK. :(

I'm thinking it's between the Jet and the Bold at the moment, simple upgrade or something different. Last time it was upgrade from X820-U100 or go for the Tocco and I went with something different in the end - maybe I should start reading up on how Blackberry's work now!!

Vodafone do the htc touch pro 2 mate. Fantastic piece of kit. Looks alot like the N97 with the slide out full qwerty keyboard but with win mobile functionality and ultimate tweakability leave the nokia standing. Cameras ok too for a htc.

Vodafone do the htc touch pro 2 mate. Fantastic piece of kit. Looks alot like the N97 with the slide out full qwerty keyboard but with win mobile functionality and ultimate tweakability leave the nokia standing. Cameras ok too for a htc.

I'll have a look at that. The N97 will be on a contract that I'm not willing to pay for though, so the HTC-TP2 may be similar.

Well you won't get any of the smart phones worth over £300 for free without a contract mate irrespective of if they are i phone nokia or blackberry

Yeah I'm paying about £35 a month at the moment on a 12 month contract, £30 contract plus the £5 unlimited internet package. The Black Bold comes in at £40 a month with unlimited Blackberry email and internet on an 18 month contract, but the N97 is £45 on a 24 month I think - I just don't think I'm willing to go that far.

The Touch Pro2 seems to be a business only contract as well, so I don't think they'll let me upgrade my contract to it.

Yeah I'm paying about £35 a month at the moment on a 12 month contract, £30 contract plus the £5 unlimited internet package. The Black Bold comes in at £40 a month with unlimited Blackberry email and internet on an 18 month contract, but the N97 is £45 on a 24 month I think - I just don't think I'm willing to go that far.

The Touch Pro2 seems to be a business only contract as well, so I don't think they'll let me upgrade my contract to it.

Ah OK I am paying £35 a month internet included for mine but on a business tarriff. I had to cancel my contract with them to force the issue though. Can always try cancelling and they will give you the phone you want if they have them. FWIW I rate the htc tp2 above the n97

iPod touch + basic Nokia smartphone with Wifi = best of both worlds. I get all the apps of the iPhone plus the internet access while paying £20/month for 1000 texts, 600 minutes and unlimited data.

OK it's two devices to carry but I do find texting directly on the phone much easier than the virtual iPod keyboard.