The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Police women given head coverings...

michael

I'm all for respecting others, I just think it goes a bit far sometimes and needs to work both ways. Respect and tolerance for someone who doesn't share your views is just as important.

Try walking through Saudi customs wearing a crucifix and see how far you get. Respect and tolerance needs to go both ways.

I agree. But what I really dont understand is how you can be called a racist for your views against a religion (not a race) :search:

Edit: Who put the Robbie Williams tag :rlol:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can assure you that in an emergency situation a female officer wouldn't be expected to don a headcovering to enter a Mosque nor would an officer be expected to remove their footwear, however if it were for improving Community relations, building ties with the Community and showing tolerance and respect, when employed as part of a Safer Neighbourhood team then they would.

I think the Police should be a controlling force, to be respected as law enforcers and recognised by their well known uniform. Whether entering an area/premises for positive or negative reasons they should wear the uniform whatever that may be. Same as paramedics and firemen - I understand what you say that those guys are always on an emergency, and the Police similarly wouldn't bother getting changed in an emergency situation, but I don't think they should have to in any situation. They are the British Police Force and wear the British Police Force uniform - at all times.

I never came to this country but was born and bred here, and believe their is nothing wrong with what the police are doing.

It is definately a step in the right direction and it is these kind of little steps that will go a big way to solving terrorism.

After all if u went to a nightclub u would have to fit the dress code to get in and there really isn't much difference apart from the fact religion is involved instead of booze and music.

You think if the Police get called to a nightclub incident they change into their jeans and pink cotton shirts? If a chav is rushed to hospital after being run over does the surgeon put on his burberry cap instead of gowning up? It's ridiculous!

And asking for an official of a particular faith to deal with your case is just pure discrimination. People should be dealt with in the same way by the Police no matter what religion the officer is, if that's not happening then the racism in the force needs dealing with internally, not by being glossed over with rule changes on the public side.

I suspect you would get very far, my ex was Christian and always wore a Crucifix and we had no problems getting passed 'Saudi Custom's when we went to attend a friends wedding...I recall them being quite helpful and welcoming actually.

I guess we were lucky :rolleyes:

Worn outside her clothes?

The person I knew spent a couple of hours in a back room whilst they went through all their stuff with a fine tooth comb. Anything they considered Christian was confiscated, together with a number of other "inappropriate" items. Fashion magazines etc. After a barrage of questions they were eventually allowed to go.

Maybe the authorities are more relaxed now. Wasn't so long ago the Ministry of Interior were conducting midnight raids and snatching people from their beds suspected of hosting bible meetings at home.

I remember being told that if I was stopped by the police whilst giving my girlfriend a lift home that because she's not my wife or blood relative they would assume she was a prostitute. Don't talk to me about tolerance and respect.

I think the Police should be a controlling force, to be respected as law enforcers and recognised by their well known uniform. Whether entering an area/premises for positive or negative reasons they should wear the uniform whatever that may be. Same as paramedics and firemen - I understand what you say that those guys are always on an emergency, and the Police similarly wouldn't bother getting changed in an emergency situation, but I don't think they should have to in any situation. They are the British Police Force and wear the British Police Force uniform - at all times.

You think if the Police get called to a nightclub incident they change into their jeans and pink cotton shirts? If a chav is rushed to hospital after being run over does the surgeon put on his burberry cap instead of gowning up? It's ridiculous!

And asking for an official of a particular faith to deal with your case is just pure discrimination. People should be dealt with in the same way by the Police no matter what religion the officer is, if that's not happening then the racism in the force needs dealing with internally, not by being glossed over with rule changes on the public side.

I agree. And what happens if a Police officer is persuing a suspect who dissapears into a mosque? Does the Police officer have to stop outside it she does not have the head covering? It's a ridiculous attempt to bend over even further backwards to show we are a tolerant multi-cultural society. But who's being tolerant of who? A police officer is a police officer and should be recognised as such. They should not need special uniforms to be able to go into different areas.

I agree. And what happens if a Police officer is persuing a suspect who dissapears into a mosque? Does the Police officer have to stop outside it she does not have the head covering?

Did you not read any of the previous post's within this thread? I guess you missed this part in Pig's post, afterall he is in the Police Force.

I can assure you that in an emergency situation a female officer wouldn't be expected to don a headcovering to enter a Mosque nor would an officer be expected to remove their footwear, however if it were for improving Community relations, building ties with the Community and showing tolerance and respect, when employed as part of a Safer Neighbourhood team then they would.

Did you not read any of the previous post's within this thread? I guess you missed this part in Pig's post, afterall he is in the Police Force.

:lol: Best typo EVER! :D

Doug's hit the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned. If you can show respect for someone's religion when visiting their place of worship, why not do it? It's not bending over backwards, it's not being soft, it's common sense!

:lol: Best typo EVER! :D

Doug's hit the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned. If you can show respect for someone's religion when visiting their place of worship, why not do it? It's not bending over backwards, it's not being soft, it's common sense!

Oh s**t I'm so sorry Doug, I don't know what happened there, I saw your avitar and thought you were Pig...my bad...my very bad :taped:

Were you deliberately trying to be offensive with the 'Pig' comment, or did you mean to type 'Class One'?

*edit* Doh! Beaten to it.

Move along....nothing to see here....

This line worries me a bit:

"But Palbinder Singh, chairman of the Metropolitan Police Sikh Association, said: “I don’t believe a white officer is ever going to be fully conversant with a Sikh.”"

Nice bit of undermining of the bridges you're trying to build, right there. Could be a misquote somehow but seems implausible.

I think this should work both ways then, I'll always ask for a white officer, as then I'm guaranteed fair and honest treatme... oh no wait :D

...and not because they is well mingin'...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/8171151.stm

I hear male officers are now refusing to go into any synagogues.

Jeez, what do they want, their own bloomin' police force?

Ah...

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/115757/Muslims-could-get-own-police

Oh well, at least the legal system is staying put, oh bugger....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/feedarticle/8581818

I see what you did there :D

I share your opinion on this I suspect.

PC gone mad (excuse the pun)

I never came to this country but was born and bred here, and believe their is nothing wrong with what the police are doing.

It is definately a step in the right direction and it is these kind of little steps that will go a big way to solving terrorism.

After all if u went to a nightclub u would have to fit the dress code to get in and there really isn't much difference apart from the fact religion is involved instead of booze and music.

Personally I disagree.

I thought the whole idea is that the Police force were to be above religion, racism, personal opinions, dress code of others etc. The uniform is the same uniform what ever you are or where ever you are from. The Police in my opinion should not be trying to 'fit' around any religion, person or thing....

Going back to your comment re night clubs... the Police don't change their uniform to go in to a night club... why shuold they change it for any kind of church?

Personally I disagree.

I thought the whole idea is that the Police force were to be above religion, racism, personal opinions, dress code of others etc. The uniform is the same uniform what ever you are or where ever you are from. The Police in my opinion should not be trying to 'fit' around any religion, person or thing....

Going back to your comment re night clubs... the Police don't change their uniform to go in to a night club... why shuold they change it for any kind of church?

Well i'm sure they do get changed appropriatley when they go out on the weekend and are not entering while on duty or emergency situation.

If they are just visting, police officer or not they would have to fit the dress code to get in.

As mentioned before in emergency situations this will not be required but when visting they are required to show a bit of understanding and respect for other religions, which TBH people should be doing for each other anyway and if that was the case i'm quite sure the world would be a much nicer place to live in for all.

They are the British Police Force and wear the British Police Force uniform - at all times.

There isn't a national uniform. They are all variations on a theme.

Seikh Officers wear a turban. Female muslim officers are allowed to wear a hijab. Jewish officers are alowed to wear a Kippah.

Interesting post Michael.

Hardly racist. Some of these changes are going too far. All who live in a country should be bound by that states laws. If the laws don't suit, there is always the option to leave the country.

Totally agree with that.

Guest m4hfu3
:lol: I saw three people wearing burkhas on the news last night and couldn't help thinking they looked like dark jedi. :D Think I've played too much knights of the old republic.....

racist

I was meant to type Class One, but saw his Avatar and thought he was member Pig...memory lapse :(

:D

I can almost hear the infraction points being prepared ;)

Nah not this time. New improved version here.

I share the exact same sentiment lol

It really was an honest mistake, I can see how it can seem funny and offensive at the same time.

note to self : Don't post:

I spat my tea out when I read it! :D