The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Police women given head coverings...

michael

...and not because they is well mingin'...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/8171151.stm

Avon and Somerset Police is issuing head coverings to its female officers so they can enter mosques.

The force says the move will help its officers respect Muslim religious customs while carrying out their job.

I hear male officers are now refusing to go into any synagogues.

Jeez, what do they want, their own bloomin' police force?

Ah...

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/115757/Muslims-could-get-own-police

Oh well, at least the legal system is staying put, oh bugger....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/feedarticle/8581818

I'm all for respecting others, I just think it goes a bit far sometimes and needs to work both ways. Respect and tolerance for someone who doesn't share your views is just as important.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only brings the doom that personally i feel that soon there will be a civil war in this country. Maybe not for a hundred years or so but i believe it will happen.

Whats going to happen next? Jedi is an official religion in this country, now will police wear Jedi capes and wield a lightsaber when they enter areas which people of the jedi religion congregate?

I am not a racist even though people will say so but if people come to this country and want to live here then shouldnt they be integrated into society and mixed with everyone? Not by creating their own Courts and police officers? What next their own army? Surely this will create an even more bigger rift between communities? Hence why i said my first point about a civil war i think that in the end people will clash with different laws being passed per community. Lets expand even more and then we will have 2 different governments.

Welcome to Great Britain + Northern Ireland and "insert new state name here"

Only brings the doom that personally i feel that soon there will be a civil war in this country. Maybe not for a hundred years or so but i believe it will happen.

I believe that we'll all transcend our earthly bodies and exist only as ethereal spirit like beings all sharing the same hive mind.

Maybe not for a billion years or so but I believe it will happen.

I am not a racist even though people will say so but if people come to this country and want to live here then shouldnt they be integrated into society and mixed with everyone?

What makes you think that they have come to this country? I expect you'll find alot of "them" are British. Born and bred. Does the colour of their skin define their Nationality? Does the religion they chose to follow define their Nationality?

There is nothing wrong in respecting anothers' culture or customs.

I can assure you that in an emergency situation a female officer wouldn't be expected to don a headcovering to enter a Mosque nor would an officer be expected to remove their footwear, however if it were for improving Community relations, building ties with the Community and showing tolerance and respect, when employed as part of a Safer Neighbourhood team then they would.

It doesn't dilute effectiveness or undermine our culture, it builds bridges IMO. Giving a little bit in order to gain more is worth the effort.

I never came to this country but was born and bred here, and believe their is nothing wrong with what the police are doing.

It is definately a step in the right direction and it is these kind of little steps that will go a big way to solving terrorism.

After all if u went to a nightclub u would have to fit the dress code to get in and there really isn't much difference apart from the fact religion is involved instead of booze and music.

n Boost has hit it on the head

There is absolutely nothing wrong with showing respect, when possible, for another's religion. I think it's a sensible action that doesn't inconvenience the officers so why not?

When you visit a Catholic religious site in Italy you are expected to cover your shoulders and wear respectable clothing and i'm sure that if officers were to enter a mosque, or temple they would, again when possible, take off their shoes as a mark of respect. This is no different.

n Boost has hit it on the head

There is absolutely nothing wrong with showing respect, when possible, for another's religion. I think it's a sensible action that doesn't inconvenience the officers so why not?

Try walking through Saudi customs wearing a crucifix and see how far you get. Respect and tolerance needs to go both ways.

What makes you think that they have come to this country? I expect you'll find alot of "them" are British. Born and bred. Does the colour of their skin define their Nationality? Does the religion they chose to follow define their Nationality?

There is nothing wrong in respecting anothers' culture or customs.

I can assure you that in an emergency situation a female officer wouldn't be expected to don a headcovering to enter a Mosque nor would an officer be expected to remove their footwear, however if it were for improving Community relations, building ties with the Community and showing tolerance and respect, when employed as part of a Safer Neighbourhood team then they would.

It doesn't dilute effectiveness or undermine our culture, it builds bridges IMO. Giving a little bit in order to gain more is worth the effort.

Good post Doug. :thumbs:

Try walking through Saudi customs wearing a crucifix and see how far you get. Respect and tolerance needs to go both ways.

I suspect you would get very far, my ex was Christian and always wore a Crucifix and we had no problems getting passed 'Saudi Custom's when we went to attend a friends wedding...I recall them being quite helpful and welcoming actually.

I guess we were lucky :rolleyes: