The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What would make a good business?

JamieP

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What about extending the building business into something still related, means you still have access to leads/contacts already established in your trade.

Currently chatting to a building firm at the mo about some ideas I've had, but I'll chat to you in private about those. :)

Looking for some ideas?

Small rental holiday cottages in the Dales/Northumberland/Cumbria/Scotland etc.

You could buy them cheap, do them up and make a killing with your know-how Jamie!;)

People won't be able to afford expensive hols abroad for a while yet so getting away to the country is going to be a very popular activity for a good while to come.

I've always wanted a bar/pub.

and right now it would be one of the worse decisions you could make! The industry is fooked and after 15years of doing it im hanging up my pint pot.

+1 on the buying property and refitting..... how about buying my house to get you started... ;)

importing cars/boats/random stuff...ala jurgen... how about opening a branch in Oz... ;)

I'd definitely go with property. If you don't have the cash available then remortgage your house on interest only and use the equity as a deposit on a BTL mortgage (interest only again), then do it up and remortgage again before renting it out, you then get gained equity every 3-6 months to buy another mortgage, and you end up with plenty of houses.

People in the building trade are perfect for this kind of deal.

I'd definitely go with property. If you don't have the cash available then remortgage your house on interest only and use the equity as a deposit on a BTL mortgage (interest only again), then do it up and remortgage again before renting it out, you then get gained equity every 3-6 months to buy another mortgage, and you end up with plenty of houses.

People in the building trade are perfect for this kind of deal.

tried that never again interest rates go up and so does the repayments nealy cost me the family home

Not sure about the housing market down south but if you want to sort out your pension, and give yourself something to do, how about buy to let mortgages?

Thats my plan for later in life anyway. You can make approx £200 per month profit per house. You need approx 20-30k to get a house. You can usually buy a port folio for around the 1/4 million mark and that way you aren't starting from the bottom. The thing is, that just makes money. It doesn't really give you something to do.

However, if you start developing your own port folio using fixer uppers then the jobs a goodun :)

Edit: Didn't read through all the previous posts so sorry to the above folks who already mentioned it .

Private Hire taxi firm.

My Mates uncle owns one and he is very well off and that is in Leeds where the place is over run by Taxi firms, he has appx 40 drivers working for him plus a waiting list of drivers wanting to taxi for him. Apart from the initial outlaw of the equipment it nows runs itself.

He only rents out the devises that give the drivers the work, so he does not have the headache of the up keep of the cars. He rents it out for £90 Mon-Fri & £60 if you only do weekends.

The only part he effectively has to manage is the control room to make sure it is staffed. :)

Some good ideas, keep em coming:)

New business wont have anything to do with property or building as i do most of that stuff now and want to try something else.

It dont have to be something i enjoy doing as more than likely it wont be me doing the work, i will stay running the building firm.

It just needs to earn money:)

The wife's boss runs a medical supply company, and therefore LOVES wars and natural disasters, so he's definitely having a ball financially, these days. I once asked my accountant what business on his books made the most money, profits wise, and it was an abortion clinic. So don a white coat, buy a powerful vac, or sell gunshot wound stuff to the MOD and the Met and have fun :)

Some good ideas, keep em coming:)

New business wont have anything to do with property or building as i do most of that stuff now and want to try something else.

It dont have to be something i enjoy doing as more than likely it wont be me doing the work, i will stay running the building firm.

It just needs to earn money:)

That's a tough one Jamie. If, as you say you don't need to be interested in it and you wouldn't be doing the work yourself I would find it hard as to where to start.

I too would like to make money by doing very little and having zero passion for it :)

Are you prepared to invest substantial money or are you looking at a low risk/low return thing?

The wife's boss runs a medical supply company, and therefore LOVES wars and natural disasters, so he's definitely having a ball financially, these days. I once asked my accountant what business on his books made the most money, profits wise, and it was an abortion clinic. So don a white coat, buy a powerful vac, or sell gunshot wound stuff to the MOD and the Met and have fun :)

:D

That's a tough one Jamie. If, as you say you don't need to be interested in it and you wouldn't be doing the work yourself I would find it hard as to where to start.

I too would like to make money by doing very little and having zero passion for it :)

Are you prepared to invest substantial money or are you looking at a low risk/low return thing?

I dont care what its doing, i dont want to invest massive money incase it goes tits up, its just about earning money, what im looking for is people saying my boss does XYZ and earns a bloody fortune, then ill do the same:d

Build another mental single supra rent it out similar to the aston martin, lamborghini, ferrari days. I'd bet a lot of people would pay for the experience ! I know I would

I dont think the money would be in something like that to justify the outlay.

How much are you willing to pay to drive my car at a trackday? i take the car to the track of your choice, you drive it for say 4 20min sessions and i take it home after?

Boat drystack is a good money maker i think, you need a big forklift and a yard on the river near to cost, the place i keep my boat charges me £3000 a year (bigger the boat the more they charge) and mine is a mid to small boat for what they have in the yard, they must have about a 100 boats there, on top of that they do a valet service and boat servicing/repairs, i reckon they make a fortune.

Build a care home with your building knowledge, get a manager out of another care home to work for you (so they can sort out staff and what is exactly involved) and you make a fortune!

My company own a few and an average one holds 80people.

average cost per person to live there is £400 a week

£400 x 80 people =£32000

£32000 x 52 weeks =£1,664,000 minus your costs!

Build a care home with your building knowledge, get a manager out of another care home to work for you (so they can sort out staff and what is exactly involved) and you make a fortune!

My company own a few and an average one holds 80people.

average cost per person to live there is £400 a week

£400 x 80 people =£32000

£32000 x 52 weeks =£1,664,000 minus your costs!

Now thats what im talking about, great input, might be out of my league but thats going on my list of things to look into.