The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Top intercooler pipe keeps blowing off

hadyn

Hi all,

Just fitted a aluminium induction hard pipe as the one seen in this ebay link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MK4-TOYOTA-SUPRA-TWIN-TURBO-AIR-INDUCTION-KIT-JZA80-2JZ_W0QQitemZ270410288427QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3ef5b58d2b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1683%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Ive mated this to my Blitz SUS filter and all seems fine. However, now everytime I bring the second turbo online on the roll, the top intercooler pipe on the right hand side of the engine keeps blowing off!!!

Never had this problem before, and it happens EVERY time turbo no 2 hits boost :(

I'm thinking some heavy duty mikalor clamps should do the job to secure it? Remove battery job?

Why is the pipe coming off now all of a sudden? Surely a bit of metal pipe and a rubber elbow wouldnt account for stronger boost??? Boost levels appear the same, peaking at 0.9 bar....

Guest exceed

Hmm, I'm not 100% sure but when this happened to me in my astra it was because my turbo was going and had become unbalanced. Although personally I'd get the pipes changed to lipped ends and then if the problem still persists I'd get the turbos checked.

I had this problem with my old car. As the end of the pipes aren't swagged, then the silicon connector is having a tough time trying to get a grip on what is essentially a smooth surface.

To get round buying new pipework, I got some good quality Mocal silicon connector, and used a bit of emery paper around the end of the tube to make it a little rough. The silicon has a batter chance of gripping the tube as a result. Get some good quality Mikalor clamps if your haven't got them. Jubilee clips aren't really upto the job.

Maybe it's protesting as it wants the stock airbox back on? :D

On a more serious note.....take it off and degrease all of the ID of the silicon and OD of the throttle body then re-assemble. Once it blows once (for whatever reason) it will need a good clean to stay on after that due to oily crap that gets on the mating surfaces. Although to be honest, I've never had the hose onto the throttle body blow off - only the one going through the inner wing.

Good point Dan, there was a fair bit of oily residue on the inner bit of the silicon, the throttle body lip and the plastic joiner.

I'll give them all a good degrease and clean when I fit some mikalor clamps on when I take the battery off.