The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Would you move to Tenerife?

nick_karkie

Hi all,

I have been in the "fish and chip" industry since I was 10 years old and we opened a very successful restaurant in Marbella. I left Marbella because of family arguments etc...I moved back to the UK in December after 3 years in Marbella and I went to work for a guy who wanted someone experienced in the "fish and chips" industry. This guy has literally offered me the chance to open a fish restaurant in the best site in Tenerife and will give me 10% of the restaurant every year until I own 50%. I will have total control because he will remain in England.

I have had the Spanish experience before and it was not so great, their relaxed attitude to work and the corruption delayed everything.

I have nothing keeping me in the UK to be honest and I do speak Spanish.

Now my question is, would you guys do it if you were in my shoes?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been in the "fish and chip" industry since I was 10 years old and we opened a very successful restaurant in Marbella. I left Marbella because of family arguments etc...I moved back to the UK in December after 3 years in Marbella.........

...... if you were in my shoes?

If I were you, I'd move back with my parents because, by my calculations, you're only 13 years old!!!!

:p :D :p

go for it if it all goes wrong you can always come back, or stay here with sh*tty weather and ponder what could have been

If i had nothing to really stay for then i would go for it!

It is kinda how I am thinking, I am still young, I could always come back if things dont go well for me.

Are you a mad person? Why wouldn't you?! Sounds like a brilliant opportunity and as you haven't listed any negatives in your post you should be packing now...

I think I'd be 25stone if I worked in a fish and chip shop.

I think I'd be 25stone if I worked in a fish and chip shop.

It is a constant battle, I have to go to the gym everyday and play football because I eat non-stop haha.

It is true I have not listed many negatives, and I hear that the people in Tenerife are much nicer than their spanish counterparts in the Costa Del Sol who have very little time for the English and are real Gypsies.

Good idea Vicky, my boss actually suggested it, he wants me to fly over there next month with him to see the place.

Michael, I know what you mean but the weird thing is that most of our customers in Marbella were English, both holiday-makers and residents, the residents tend to come because they miss good fish and chips and the holiday makers come because their kids want to eat fish and chips haha.

The weird thing is that you actually take 5 times more money than you do in England because unless you have the contacts it is very difficult to get all the products you need to do it right.

I am divorced from a Russian girl I married in Spain and we have no children, so I dont have any commitments here apart from my family, but I would see them every now and then, I can handle that. The other good thing is that my girlfriend is Mexican and she would probably love it there.

I would probably think twice about it right now. My sister works for barclays in the canary islands and she tells me that the islands are dead at the moment. Business's are closing all the time and she has noticed a lot of her clients folding and moving back to the UK. I was in Fuerteventura last month and it was very quiet, even the locals are struggling for work. I can't see a fish & chip shop doing well in the canary islands anytime soon, especially as established vendors are struggling as it is. Just my opinion.

I would probably think twice about it right now. My sister works for barclays in the canary islands and she tells me that the islands are dead at the moment. Business's are closing all the time and she has noticed a lot of her clients folding and moving back to the UK. I was in Fuerteventura last month and it was very quiet, even the locals are struggling for work. I can't see a fish & chip shop doing well in the canary islands anytime soon, especially as established vendors are struggling as it is. Just my opinion.

I agree, it is a hard market but luckily I have been through that experience in Marbella and we were one of the fortunate few to not get affected by it because we do it properly in our family, no half-measures.

Certainly one of the major things putting me off but if I think about it I guess the risk is not mine, my boss will buy the freehold and will give me half the restaurant over 5 years. He lived there for many years and has a contact who has been there for 20 years and I dont think he would have reccomended him the site if he thought if would be dificult.

Nick,

Do you know people there?

Without going into alot of detail, but if you are planning opening up in the more popular areas, as easy as its sounds, you cant. Well you can but there are a few that will disapprove. The place is corrupt to say the least.

I was going to scoot off about 5 years ago, open a compooter shop and be done with it. I decided against it all in the end, the corruption being a primary issue.

if you answer this then go for it..

cuanto vas canar y mas importante como son las mujeros de tenrifie son guapas or feas ??

si dices que si , tu tienes que ir a este citio..

adios

"What's more important, opening a chippy in Tenerife, or giving me some lovely cash to buy one of my splendid cars?

Good day!" :innocent::D

On the one hand your experience and relative lack of commitments back in Blighty screams yes - On the other hand, a bloke who'll buy a business then systematically give you half of it, and in a recession? Interesting proposition.

No matter what you decide, the very best of luck to you sir :)