The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Viewing The International Space Station

bens747

Just for those that are interested in this sort of stuff. To be able to watch the ISS fly over you need to know where it will be at any point in time. On a clear night sky you can't miss it.

Goto www.n2yo.com and view a moving map and a 5 day prediction table giving the line of orbit and times of the ISS will fly over head. It will be a fast moving bright light in the sky.

Some Facts ....

4.61 miles a second approx.

276 miles a minute approx.

16500 mph approx.

16 orbits around the earth per day.

1.5 hours per orbit.

Orbit height 218 miles.

Seen it a few times now. Happy Hunting .... :)

I saw it a couple of days ago when I looked out of the window - wasn't even looking for it! (and it definitely wasn't a plane. i checked heaven's above).

It seems to be going over several times per day at the moment. I think it might be brighter too as they've stuck more crap onto it :)

So how exactly do you know where to look?

Go onto http://www.n2yo.com and from the main page click on the 5 Day Pediction Wth Gaphics and you are presented with a page and map of the UK and your home location.

In the table are the times it will pass and to the right of the pane you will see (draw)

Click these and it will give an orbit line across your location. Even if you are up north you should still be able to see it on a clear sky because it's so high up. Because it's so high up it lights up from the reflection of the sun. The Mag in the table is how bright it might appear from your location. Hope this helps.

I find I'm always looking for it now. How very sad I am but it's fun..... :)

Go onto www.ny20.com and from the main page click on the 5 Day Pediction Wth Gaphics and you are presented with a page and map of the UK and your home location.

In the table are the times it will pass and to the right of the pane you will see (draw)

Click these and it will give an orbit line across your location. Even if you are up north you should still be able to see it on a clear sky because it's so high up.

Because it's so high up it shine from the reflection of the sun. The Mag in the table is how bright it might appear from your location. Hope this helps.

I find I'm always looking for it now. How very sad I am but it's fun..... :)

Cant see anything on the 2 sites you have posted.

n2yo.com ???

ny20.com ???

One doesnt come up at all and the other is about New York.

It's amazing how many people don't know that the Space Station even exists let alone that people live on it.

Now for something even better. How many satalites do you think are in orbit around the earth maybe 200 - 300 well check out this link and just be amazed.

http://esamultimedia.esa.int/images/spacecraft-operations/space_debris/Bee-Hive-4_H1.jpg

And these are the one's just in low earth orbit. How they don't crash into each other I don't know ..... :)

Not only have we turned earth into a giant garbage can but we have started to litter our own orbit too and parts of space. :blink:

It's amazing how many people don't know that the Space Station even exists let alone that people live on it.

Now for something even better. How many satalites do you think are in orbit around the earth maybe 200 - 300 well check out this link and just be amazed.

http://esamultimedia.esa.int/images/spacecraft-operations/space_debris/Bee-Hive-4_H1.jpg

And these are the one's just in low earth orbit. How they don't crash into each other I don't know ..... :)