The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which way round do the brake pads go on.

Scott

Looking for some help, i got my new pads from Chris today, not really sure which way round they go. On one corner of each there is a little spring clip thing, not sure which direction this should be going in.

Also, the little bracket thing that goes on the top of the caliper, not sure which way it should point either.

I have UK brakes and i'm working on the rears at the moment.

Thanks

I got my pads from Chris. One of the best things i've done to my car. Covers the wheels in dust buts stops the car likes there's no tommorow!!! :)

Here is a pic i had on my phone of the drivers side. You can see the way the clip goes on but you can't see the springs. The arrows i have drawn are just for shims. Probably a bit late now but as you take them out you should note which way they are in there. Hope the pic helps. :cool:

Brake1.jpg

Thanks for the reply bud but its the rears i'm working on. The pads i took out had the metal bits missing from the corners, all but 1 so i can't be sure which way they go.

Or wait, are those rears? I don't have any anti-squeel shims but my brakes have never squeeled?

Cheers

Guest Budz86

IIRC the pads have a slight 'arc' to them (not the best way to describe it but can't think of the proper term!) and that is closest to the hub.

I think when I did mine I loosened the slider bolt and lifted that part of the caliper, then the pads just popped in, there was only one way they would fit

HTH, but it probably won't!

Stupid question, but have you considered phoning CW for advise on the product he has supplied, rather than messing around on the internet?

Yeah but i don't want to bother him and its hard to explain over the phone. If i can't get an answer then obviously i will.

Looks right to me, that's how mine are, I don't understand how else they could go on.

If you have a look at the pic attached you will see the bits i can't quite see any reason for. Metal tangs that i am unsure of where to locate.

Should they be where they are, be at the top, be at opposite corners etc.

Can't really figure out what they do.

03072009123.jpg

Yeh I see what you mean. Are they even removable? I have no idea what they're for either, shows the extent of my car knowledge. Both the pads on my car and the new porterfields I bought are set up the same as in your picture though.

I don't think they are removable, i wouldn't want to try in case i broke them but..... if i swap the sides the pads are on this will put the tangs to the top, I have 2 sets, if i take one of the other pads from the other set i can have 1 at the top and one at the bottom.

Not sure which way to go, guess i'll wait and ask chris lol.

The little clips are to let you know when the pad is ready for replacing, it will rub against the disk, resonate and squeal. I can't see it making too much difference which way it faces TBH.

Ahhhh that makes sense!

Sorted!

Doesn't really matter how they go in so long as the friction material faces the disc surface and the longer side of the pad is toward the inside of the wheel rim. Should have rung me, I can multi task, despite what `er indoors says :)

No worries mate, i wasn't in a hurry as i don't have the discs yet lol. If i was fitting them at the time i would have given you a ring :)

Thanks for replying, and thanks for the pads... oh, need to leave you feedback :D