The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BMW e39 or e46...

JamesF

Had to sell my NA Supra when I lost my job, Ive been driving a 306 GTI6 since. Now Im back in work and have a steady wage Im after saving up for something better!

I enjoyed the power of the Supra but would have liked more, and enjoyed the rwd and the feeling of driving something that was fairly unique. With the 306 I love the fact its amazing when you get it on a B road, but its a bit uninspiring everywhere else (thought it was broken when I bought it lol).

Problem is Ive got a 220 mile round trip up the M6 every weekend so getting a focused point to point drivers car is a bit daft.

Fuel consumption isnt a real issue cos Ill just grin and bear it. However I dont want something thats going to go fantastically wrong.

I need 4 seats (kids at 4 and 7) and 200bhp+.

Ive been looking at BMWs, and fancy either a 330 Sport, or a 530, 535 or 540 Sport.

Now the 330 only has 220bhp, but isnt as heavy as the 5 series, and Ive read a lot of people comparing the ZHP (think its an American model, presumably the 330 Sport) to an e36 M3. Which seems good.

But the 540 and 535 are V8s! And the Sports and as near as dammit to an M5 looks wise. But they're enormous great big lumps compared to the330. The 540 has 286bhp but weighs more than the e46. So wont it perform the same?

Apparently the 530 is the best drivers car as it has rack and pinion steering as opposed to rod and ball, and is 200lbs lighter. But Ive read a review that said the 540 was a great sportscar disguised as a saloon.

Proper confusing myself now.

Basically, can anyone with experiences of any of the marques let me know their experiences? Im after something quick, fun, good on the motorway, and makes people think Im loaded (haha Im childish).

Looked at Aristo's but the only ones I saw were auto's and Im not keen on MK1s.

Thoughts please guys and gals after my essay here! :D

I was considering a 200sx but Im fearful to buy one due to them all being abused!!!

What kinda figures are we looking at fuel consumption wise? How was the 540 to drive? Big daft lump? Mobile rear end?

540 and 740 are good cars, they dont feel blistering fast but smooth rapid MPH gain

I would say they 740 is the best value as they are dirt cheap

This is my territory being a BMW fan having owned several over 9 years including 2 M5's but I'm by no means blinded by the brand like many.

Firstly, the 5 series (e39) is a far superior car in terms of quality to the 3 series (E46). you generally get much more for your money.

As for performance even the 3.0ltr 330i or 530i will be adequate and offer the best compromise between running costs and performance. The 535i V8 will have a bit more torque but you'd be better off with a 540i as the running costs are similar to the 535.

The 540i is brisk but by no means fast as people like to think. My aunts new 330i saloon and a family members 02' 540i are reduced to a spec in the mirrors of my C70 T5 at motorway speeds and a above. (I love my C70 T5 more than I liked my E34 and E39 M5's).

The E46 is a quite cramped inside and they usually have a harsh ride which some people don't like.

The engines in these are pretty reliable, issues only arise via negligence when it comes to servicing and quite often engine sensors become intermittent affect fuel consumption and flattening the performance but without throwing fault codes etc. On every BMW I have had, upon purchase I have always had the injectors stripped and cleaned with new seal rings, new cam/crank, water temp sensors. They are also very heavy on suspension components likes bushes all round which only last 30,000 miles realistically.

The one thing to be aware of with BMWs is that they fall into the wrong hands, people who can't afford to service them (very cheap compared to a Supra) and the criminal types who clock these cars as they hide miles quite well. You will come across more bad ones than good ones, so be patient with your search.

I would say keep your options open and look at some others as well;

BMW option - stick with either a 530i or 530d (with a remap) or go for a fully loaded 540i. They handle and drive well for large cars but, buy very carefully! All BMWs suffer with cooling issues so be sure inpect the coolant condition and strenght as well as reciepts to indicate cooling issues. BMW heads don't like getting warm!

Volvo V70R

Mercedes C43/C32/E55 (heavy on fuel) AMG

Jaguar XJR (will be about the same as a 540i on fuel, my XKR wasn't that bad).

had 2 N/A's and now running about in an e46 330 m sport and love it, feels a lot faster and smoother than the Supra, also great fuel economy, I've filled it twice and been over 34mpg each time.

Would disagree about the e46 being tight inside, like a tardis compared to the supra.

XJRs and 740's are a bit big and old man for me Im only 24!

DSK - Interesting comments, thanks! Im leaning towards the 540/530 due to the fact its quite a status car and Ive always wanted one. The 330 seems to be a better option. Most likely would be a saloon as if I got a coupe Id just spend all my money making it look like a CSL lol. Think I need to test drive a 5 series to see if I like them. Not keen on diesels (had a few just dont like the way they drive) even though a 530d would probably be quite an impressive car...

Im non the wiser! Think Ill rule out a 535.... Maybe not lol

Cheers for the NA Supra/e46 330 comparism, thats exactly what I was hoping, and wanted to hear! :)

had 2 N/A's and now running about in an e46 330 m sport and love it, feels a lot faster and smoother than the Supra, also great fuel economy, I've filled it twice and been over 34mpg each time.

Would disagree about the e46 being tight inside, like a tardis compared to the supra.

I'm 6ft and personally I just can't get comfy in a 3 series, always end up with aches and pains. Rear leg room is rubbish as well IMO. Hence if buying a 4 door car, do it right and get a 5 series.

I'm 6ft and personally I just can't get comfy in a 3 series, always end up with aches and pains. Rear leg room is rubbish as well IMO. Hence if buying a 4 door car, do it right and get a 5 series.

Have a look at the E series Merc, I have been nothing but impressed with my first couple of weeks ownership, a very nice car (except fuel but it is the E55 AMG!)

LOL, i'm 6,2 and 18stone and find it way comfier than the supra, had 4 adults in it with no issue at all.

LOL, i'm 6,2 and 18stone and find it way comfier than the supra, had 4 adults in it with no issue at all.

Fair do's, but I'm not comparing a 4 door car to a Supra. I was comparing it to my experience between 3 and 5 series BMWs and a few Volvos.

I personally cannot get comfy in any 3 series, my E36 runabout put me in pain, and the E90 isn't much better. They work well enough in LHD form when the sodding engine/g.box doesn't protrude the area a driver's left leg should be. This alone makes my body twisted.

They hide the weight well and are quite nicely balanced. Due to the size, its not as chuckable as a smaller car, but when you do press on, it won't be barge especially with the M Sport suspension (should you get an M sport version). The chassis composure and body roll are very impressive for a medium ish sized car.

Tell me more about the 530d's!

I used to have a 406 HDI that was chipped to 140bhp. Was a nice car but not a drivers car at all, felt really detached from the driving experience. My Dad's 07 plate Mondeo is also awful to drive but for different reasons. Hoping the 530d's are better...

I think i would go for a 530d - preferably the sport.

I was looking for a 540 a few years back, i drove 2 and neither of them felt quick. I don't if there was something wrong with them or if it was just becuase it was smooth acceleration (i was driving a run around Xantia 1.9td at the time so not like i was comparing against something fast). I have seen one on the road since though and it did look fast :confused:.

So the torque and power of a 530d, and decent fuel economy. Sounds good to me :)

I have different a number of BMW's most these are hire cars from my friends company. Would you be able to give us a budget?

The reason I ask is the Lexus IS220 is a brilliant car, very nice to drive...looks expensive, the interior is very good! Drive wise,

the diesel was brilliant on fuel and power!

An as mentioned above, the E Class is very option as well, Interior is the best in its class and chassis is so well built!

The power delivery is again very smooth like the BMW's but you know your going fast!

The Chrysler 300c is also a brilliant car! Same chassis as the E Class but Interior & Boston sound setup is just the best!

You do feel rich driving that! Handling is not as good but the ride is quality!

I hope I have made your choices easier :D

530d is very very good, quick enough, quicker with with a remap, loads of torque and superb on fuel. Don't bother with a 535i btw hardly any quicker than a 530i but a lot worse on fuel and not as much fun. If you want a V8 go for the 540i, it's a great engine - I have an 840 which is heavier but more aerodynamic and on an 85mph cruise I get around 26-27mpg, though around town it does high teens. 530d is a better bet as an everyday driver though.

My brother has owned a E39 530 sport for the past few years and i must say its a great car and no slouch even on twisty roads as ive had a few runs with him in my Sup and he didnt do too bad at all in the bends! The car handles really well i was shocked as it looks like a lump of a car that wouldnt handle! :D

Although ive heard and read reviews on the E39 that say the V8 engines i.e. 535i upwards do have some issues and can be expensive to fix!

But id go for a 530 sport ;)