The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Michael Jackson Rushed to Los Angeles Hospital for Cardiac Arrest

Guigsy

It'd be different if people we're talking about his rotting body and laughing at that etc.

Jackson is famous for 2 things, both will be remembered for a very very long time, hopefully one more so than the other. I don't think anyone is laughing at his death, only being reminded of what happened in his life BY his death and dredging up the jokes.

At the end of the day if the jokes were funny in his life, they will remain funny in his death. Its because of his death that they are surfacing again, they will soon disperse.

I guess i'm kind of the middle man in all this. I don't write any jokes, and i don't see any need for it to be honest, but that doesn't make them appeal to my sense of humour.

Same goes with the Gary Glitter stuff on here, when he dies they will all surface again. They will still be funny. Of course the difference is Glitter was actually convicted, but then again they got OJ eventually too ;)

Edit: Just thought of something to add to my funny in life, funny in death comment. If you think about it noone close to Jackson would find the jokes funny when he was alive so of course they won't in his passing. The people who found the jokes originally funny still would IMO, whether they admit it or not is a different kettle of fish, don't want to be seen to be disrespectful in some way i guess.

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got one...

So this is in light of Scott M's demise after a horrific accident leaving him rapped around a lamp column in his supra with steel impaled through his chest:

Q: What's the difference between Scott M and a lamp column?

A: The lights were switched on in the lamp column

Are you saying this would be acceptable then Scott?

I've got one...

So this is in light of Scott M's demise after a horrific accident leaving him rapped around a lamp column in his supra with steel impaled through his chest:

And more to the point, WTF is a lamp column?! :)

That's the thing I don't think the jokes were funny in his life either, a lot of the jokes are more about his death so weren't applicable when he was alive. They're the more callous ones. I'm off to search the forum for some Baby P jokes, must have missed some awesome jokes about that as it's only harmless fun by the looks of it...

I've got one...

Kinda like that, i would prefer funny though ;)

That's the thing I don't think the jokes were funny in his life either, a lot of the jokes are more about his death so weren't applicable when he was alive. They're the more callous ones. I'm off to search the forum for some Baby P jokes, must have missed some awesome jokes about that as it's only harmless fun by the looks of it...

Baby P didn't personally orchestrate his of her innocent and very short life in the public domain. Jackson did. Again people are taking the piss out of his image, which he created and perpetuated.

Baby P didn't personally orchestrate his of her innocent and very short life in the public domain. Jackson did. Again people are taking the piss out of his image, which he created and perpetuated.

So because he was famous it's ok to make jokes about him dying? Don't see how jokes about cremation and open caskets etc are about public lifestyle and image.

So because he was famous it's ok to make jokes about him dying? Don't see how jokes about cremation and open caskets etc are about public lifestyle and image.

I guess in the end, no one is immune to jokes - good or bad.

Jackson happens to be stupidly-mega-famous, who courted the media big time - they talk about him in a big way, therefore we talk about him a big way. Some of it negative.

At the same time, there can be no taboos in good comedy :)

So because he was famous it's ok to make jokes about him dying? .

its because he was famous that the jokes are about him. if i was to die and the entire internet were dedicating jokes to me then i would surely have left a lasting impression.

Love this place, people will argue and moan about everything :D

Anyone that works and has friends will have had these jokes throughout the day, not something unique to this forum.

So it's ok because lots of people are doing it? The more people doing it around the country the more acceptable it is?

its because he was famous that the jokes are about him. if i was to die and the entire internet were dedicating jokes to me then i would surely have left a lasting impression.

That's not quite what's happening though is it - if you died you wouldn't care because you'd be dead. How about your mum or you son dies, and there's jokes about him rotting with lots of smilies after it, would you not feel a bit disheartened?

So it's ok because lots of people are doing it? The more people doing it around the country the more acceptable it is?

So you've had a go at all your friends and people at work that have done the same?

That's not quite what's happening though is it - if you died you wouldn't care because you'd be dead. How about your mum or you son dies, and there's jokes about him rotting with lots of smilies after it,would you not feel a bit disheartened

if this...if that.....

my mom will die one day. will jokes be said about her? very very unlikely.

If a freind came up to me and made a 'joke', I wouldn't have a go but I'd make sure he knew that I found it distastefull.

Fair enough, I guess we all have different of tolerance, I see where people are coming from but maybe I'm a little more laid back about things like this?

MJ, like other people who Die are someones Brother, Father, Son etc you get the Picture and none of us would stand there and make Jokes about our own Relative never mind how strange they were.

Most peoples relatives don't lead the kind of lives that create situation that people can make jokes about.

I don't understand how some people get spared and others don't. For example - Natasha Richardson (actress) died recently at a relatively early age - why was that not funny? Farrah Fawcett - is that not funny too?

Again, they didn't really do anything in life that would lend itself to a joke or two. Or maybe we just don't know enough about skiing.

So you've had a go at all your friends and people at work that have done the same?

I think he's headbutted them all as per an earlier post.