The mkiv Supra Owners Club

£30 for noisey exhausts!

adnanshah247

The easy answer IMO is plenty of straight through mufflers/resonator boxes. I cant see any straight through box having a big effect on performance.

A mate's Celica had a 2 box s/s powerflow fitted, can went great, but droned at certain revs. He went back and got another straight through box added, the car went the same but without the drone. I suppose boxes cost money and the more boxes in your £500ish exhaust then the less profit for the makers.

I am very happy with my lack of noise, and if the filth get heavy I have two random tech cats which I shall fit in parallel :)

Damn, Newton Abbot, that's where I live! Still got stock exhaust at the moment so should be OK.

Was going for a Tanabe Touring (a 'quiet' exhaust) but even that is 93db - presumably under WOT - so hopefully these tests are at idle.

To be honest, I think this is a direct result of the max muppet crew who drive around at all hours with the boom boxes blaring and exhaust so loud f*ck knows where they buy them or how they make them. Its these idiots that annoy our neighbourhood along with their mates on 2 smoke scooters with sports exhausts really taking the piss. Normal drivers with Subaru's etc are no bother, whilst you can hear the cars they are not being revved up or anti social.

I can honestly see Supra's, Subaru's, Evo's getting targets the same as the muppets in shopping trolleys, at the end of the day, every ticket a copper can dish out looks good for them.

This has been rumoured for years but looks like its starting to come into force slowly.

Guest Rays the roof
That makes more sense.

So glad you became a member Martini.

Now there is someone on here who knows less about cars than I do....! :secret:

Guest Rays the roof
You must use a calibrated sound meter, not the useless ones on ebay which give very low readings at the high dbA range. They can be 15bdA out. They are only any good for comparing sounds of the same dbA, nothing else.

Mine cost £195 and has BS calibration certificate. It was part of my leaving present from a company I used to work for, who did there own noise testing on machinery....:innocent:

The easy answer IMO is plenty of straight through mufflers/resonator boxes. I cant see any straight through box having a big effect on performance.

A mate's Celica had a 2 box s/s powerflow fitted, can went great, but droned at certain revs. He went back and got another straight through box added, the car went the same but without the drone. I suppose boxes cost money and the more boxes in your £500ish exhaust then the less profit for the makers.

I am very happy with my lack of noise, and if the filth get heavy I have two random tech cats which I shall fit in parallel :)

I have to agree with you there....

As I'm getting older, I find somethings bug more than that used to... When I was young a stupid loud badly setup exhaust sounded 'cool'....Now that I'm older I get irritated or just laugh at the saxo's and stuff that go past 'farting'.

mine cost £195 and has bs calibration certificate. It was part of my leaving present from a company i used to work for, who did there own noise testing on machinery....:innocent:

:D lol

I have an adjustable meter and calibration meter for mine. I now put a bung in when I start up at home, park up and remove it, once out of the village. If they tighten the regs I will have to a redesign of my whole 4 inch system.

Vehicle noise levels should be between 82 and 89 decibels and background noise between 50 and 60 decibels.

The first £30 fixed penalty ticket was issued after a vehicle exhaust was measured at 93 decibels.

Nightmare eh! Somone on the SXOC got a reply from the transport department regarding the new rules: Basically it comes down to this:

"Fitting a different exhaust to a vehicle which has the effect of making it noisier is an offence."

So that means most of the members of this site with aftermarket exhausts now have illegal cars I would say.

However, what about cars like TVR's, Lambo's, Ferrari's, Carrera GT's, Zonda's, Konigseggs, Ascari's, and all the supercars that make well over 90db with stock exhaust systems. A standard Tuscan would probably destroy one of those sound meters?

Discretion will definately be needed by the officers doing the tug, fills you full of confidence doesn't it.

License to print money???

Thank you Lax Power boys with your bean tin exhausts and thumping sound systems, you're wonderful :p