The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Floating Rotors With McLaren Shims

dandan

i think this is common to most floating discs that are fitted with anti rattle washers/springs/clips, they are just not needed on every bolt and only need to put a bit of tension on the disc to stop it rattling (they still rattle a bit though) possibly if you fitted them on all the bolts it may impeed the ability of the disc to float, mine have alternate belvil washers on, nothing as elaberate as the clips in the pic

hence mine being a road car

Quite, they help stop the worst of the rattling and save some wear on the bobbins, which are considered sacrificial on race cars, and of course, the noise is irrelevant. You'll find the springs will wear, maybe fatigue and break, long term, and the slots can get bunged up with brake dust and rust, making them none floating if not checked and cleaned out, maybe even stripped and cleaned ou :)

OK cheers folks. Sounds like there's no real reason for or against having "alternate" or "every" fixing with an anti rattle shim. (Depending on the stiffness of the spring)

I do see your point about too much spring limiting the float Paul - the main idea on axial float being to reduce the piston knock back so that makes sense - too stiff an assembly will mean more likely piston knock back. I'll keep this in mind.

There may be a cost side to it as well - I think the McLaren anti rattle shims are about £4-5 each at trade price so there's some saving there.....make them a little stiffer and run on alternate fixings.

Chris - I don't suppose you saw my recent post in the wanted section about sourcing AP and Alcon hardware did you? Are you able to?