The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I am in the money, I am in the money.

jamesmark

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done James/Mark, at least someone I vaguely know has managed to get anything more than a few quid from the lottery :D

Massive can-o-worms for anyone "into" math :D

Yeah, I tried explaining Probability to many people over the years but very, very few seem to be able to grasp it.

It's not.

Regardless of whether a chance occurrence (500 heads in your example) has happened the odds/chance/probabilty of it landing on tails the next time is still evens.

Yeah that. Probability of coin being tails is 0.5 as there are only two outcomes (actually there is the third 'on it's edge' outcome but if you ignore that)

It does not change depending on prior results and the event or coin has no memory. It is human programming to try and see a pattern and attach weight to it. The exploitation of the human weakness can be seen everywhere especially vegas!

It's not.

Regardless of whether a chance occurrence (500 heads in your example) has happened the odds/chance/probabilty of it landing on tails the next time is still evens.

my last post on this subject. As i said, its a massive can of worms. At school to higher level we are taught simple probability calculations. Actual probability of a multiple try outcome is far far more complex. I was on the wrong side of this argument the last time.

The can of worms was opened on a magic forum i was on, where i was of the same opinion of you guys until it was explained to me.

If someone wants to explain it all on here then great, if not it certainly won't be me. The example used on the forum was the odds of turning over 26 red cards in a deck of 52 vs the probability of the same outcome. I knew the formula for the odds but the probability one was just insane.

Even in its simplest terms odds are still different to probability. With the coin example the odds are 1 over one, the probability is 1 over 2.

You can argue or disagree all you like. From the answers being given you are not qualified to argue and i am not qualified to explain. Perhaps homer is.

my last post on this subject. As i said, its a massive can of worms. At school to higher level we are taught simple probability calculations. Actual probability of a multiple try outcome is far far more complex. I was on the wrong side of this argument the last time.

The can of worms was opened on a magic forum i was on, where i was of the same opinion of you guys until it was explained to me.

If someone wants to explain it all on here then great, if not it certainly won't be me. The example used on the forum was the odds of turning over 26 red cards in a deck of 52 vs the probability of the same outcome. I knew the formula for the odds but the probability one was just insane.

Even in its simplest terms odds are still different to probability. With the coin example the odds are 1 over one, the probability is 1 over 2.

You can argue or disagree all you like. From the answers being given you are not qualified to argue and i am not qualified to explain. Perhaps homer is.

so if you were a bookies and tossed a coin 500 times (and it was heads every time)and then went to take bets off people what odds would you offer them on it landing on heads or tails on the 501st flip?

Let's say you have 5 coin tosses (or 5 coins). One coin has 2 outcomes. With 5 coins, there are 32 possible outcomes ( = 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 = 2^5)

Of these, 1 outcome has 5 heads from 5 tosses.

Therefore the probability of this is 1/32 or 3% (rounded).

With 51 coin tosses, there are 2251799813685248 possible outcomes.

Click me