The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Can a Diff be re shimmed to make it less aggressive?

add heywood

I currently have an aftermarket diff on the supe which is VERY aggressive. Its fantastic at launching off the line but no fun driving around normally. It's basically locked when the power goes down (its not welded lol), which means if you are going round a roundabout and you touch the accelarator the outside wheel locks and the back end twitches.

I dont mind it dragging the wheels on full lock but when your doing 20/30 mph it can get a little "interesting". I was maybe wanting to do some track days in it but with the diff as it is I would be mad.

Been speaking to a mechanic and he seems to think you can re-shim (?) the diff to make it a little less aggressive. I know sod all about diffs and was wondering if he was on to something.

Yes, the shims can be ground thinner, but try an oil additive first. Chrysler make and sell a good plate type LSD oil additive. Ask for the stuff they put in Jeep Cherokee rear diffs to help stop chatter and judder. Put 3 bottles of it in and see if you can live with it then. Re shimming will be costly.

Yes, the shims can be ground thinner, but try an oil additive first. Chrysler make and sell a good plate type LSD oil additive. Ask for the stuff they put in Jeep Cherokee rear diffs to help stop chatter and judder. Put 3 bottles of it in and see if you can live with it then. Re shimming will be costly.

Cheers Chris, ill look into that. Just spoke to Jurgen on the phone and he tells me its a really strong diff, so dont really want to be putting a standard one in and blowing it within a few weeks with the power that goes through it.

You are misunderstanding how a differential works. The crown wheel and pinion stays the same if you put a stock centre section in, which is the bit that limits the slippage (or not, depending on design). A Torsen type LSD centre sction as fitted as stock to some MKIV's, or an open centre section won't change the strength of the drivetrain. Try the oil, that's a five minute job and reversible.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential3.htm