The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What car for hillclimb?

kslb

You need something with good traction, so forget front wheel drive cars. You are at a huge disadvantage from the start. Light weight, RWD is what you need.

What do you suggest that meets the sub £500 mark. I would prefer rear wheel drive but this is just for a tester to see if I like it so didn't want to spend any more I thought mx5 but no where near budget but any rear wheel options you can think of would be much appreciated.

Hire a drive in something like a Caterfield? 500 isn't a realistic budget for a competition car, to be honest.

As explained I am not looking for a competition car I am looking for something sub £500 and as per the criteria in the first post so I can try this out to see if it ticks all the boxes and if it does then I would look at investing in the future but that would not be for a while. A sub £500 car would enable me to get a foot in the door and meet a few people in the know and gain some experience until I could stretch the budget.

Everyone has a budget and I am looking for ideas within the criteria I set in the first post and am obviously aware that this will not have me winning or even coming close but that is not what I am looking for.

As soon as you take it on a hillclimb it becomes a competition car, though, with the attendant added stresses and strains in terms of usage. I'm unsure whether the taster you talk of is to see if you like hillclimbing itself, or if you like car "X"? Cheapest RWD car these days would be an MX5. You might get something within budget, but it sure won't be the prettiest thing out there ;) You would find a small BMW within budget, but again, it would be ropey.

You see mkii mr2's at £500 sometimes when they're suffering from rust problems with no mot or tax, that could be ok if you were prepared to put the work in but then again its a 2.0ltr so wouldn't be what your looking for, I dont know what class that would put you into. Where are you planning on doing it?

I'm unsure whether the taster you talk of is to see if you like hillclimbing itself, or if you like car "X"?

Its to see whether I like hillclimb itself and the environment of it as a possible hobby for the wife and I but I thought to get a feel of it I would be best doing it a few times to see what it is all about.

I already know I won't like car "X" as I can't imagine getting that much enjoyment or performance from a sub £500 car but I just wanted something that after a few hillclimbs, whether I decide to stick with it or not, I could just get rid of on ebay without too much of a dent in the wallet.