The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What car for hillclimb?

kslb

I was thinking of getting a car to try our local hillclimb but not sure what to get.

I love track days and the like but there is nothing local but there is hillclimb about 2 miles away so thought I should give it a try and no I am not using the supe.

I want something with a 1.4 engine and under £500 any ideas?

I was thinking Citreon AX GT?

If you got the cash to splash... Mk2 BDA mmmmmmm and ooooph the noise!! :D:D

Im sure you could find a tidy civic eg for that money, not a VTi, but Bseries engine's are quite easy and cheap to get hold of ;)

Don't have the cash for one of those. Great vid though could not turn it off.

To enter in the bottom class it has to be a standard road car no bigger than a 1.4 NA engine. I figured that is the place to start and see if we like it (wife and I).

a old corsa with a 2.0 duratec in it? Can be cammed to 180'ish and when gutted I'd imagine they're quite light. Duratec's are cheap as anything in scrappy's aswell.

To enter in the bottom class it has to be a standard road car no bigger than a 1.4 NA engine. I figured that is the place to start and see if we like it (wife and I).

Plus i'de put a RedTop in over a Duratec ;)

oops. didn't see the 1.4 bit:rolleyes:

Besides have you seen the price of redtops nowadays? they're worth twice what thew car is:blink:

a mate of mine just got a bargain... His 1995 Corsa Sport 1.6 16v straight swap for a Corsa C20LET with less miles, nawt wrong with it :)

Locost with a fireblade engine..put a suitable diff in it :)

yep ... thats what I'm talking about :)

For hill climbs that usually have some very tight hairpins a light weight RWD car can put in some seriously quick times.

I've been to see the odd hill climb before and noticed how much the high powered FWD cars struggle to gain traction compared to the RWD cars around hairpins (especially on a hill remember, where the weight of the car is always acting over the rear axel).

This is my buddy Mike's 1040 HP (Qtr mile 9.7 sec)Lancia that he has built for Hillclimb events (runs @ 700hp) and Drag racing. He owns and runs JMC Power Automotive and sets up some of the most powerful Drag cars in europe.

The plan is hopefully to one Day get the Supra out to Cyprus for some work on it.;)

Slightly off topic but I thought you'd enjoy.

Here is a link to the page and video of the 7MGTE Supra-engined Drag car he tuned that holds the world record for the 7MGTE @7.44 sec (Scroll down and click the Gary Curmi photo)

http://www.greekdragster.com/mainsite/category-presentations.shtml

I have an unfinished Nova GTE running on twin 40's if you want it. All you would need is to arrange collection. PM me if you are interested.

Have pm'd you. Am interested but logistics may be an issue

I was thinking Citreon AX GT?

Or for the ultimate in lightweight, the Ax 1.4 Gt... IIRC they are around 700Kg with 85Hp

That is what I am leaning towards and was my first choice when I started the thread and I think is still leading.