The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cam Cover Baffle Removal/Refit

dandan

Ok fellas,

Those of you who have welded/threaded in larger cam breather bits and hoses.....what have you done about making sure the inside of the cam covers is meticulously clean once you've finished?

Do you drill out the rivets holding the baffles in, clean everything and then weld them back in?

Cheers

Dan

Colsoop drilled and tapped them back into place.

thats what i did, i also centre poped the screws on the thread so they were tight going back in and then put some loctite on for good measure, you also need some gasket sealant as the baffle plates are sealed

• 1 month later...
Paul - did you use a regular stainless cap head? Loctite as well?

no from memory i used normal M5 pan head screws and gave them a little nip with the cutter of a pair of pliers to deform the threads slightly so they were quite tight to screw in, and a little dab of thread lock, a bit over cautious i know but one of them falling out could spoil your day

one of them falling out could spoil your day

:D I'll say

When I memntioned cap head I was thinking more in terms of space for the head of the bolt really. I have stainless ones in various sizes kicking around the place so will probably just go for an M4. The self tappers would save tapping anything but would make me a little nervous I think.