The mkiv Supra Owners Club

touch screen phones

peter richards

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reference to the solidarity of the screens - my iphone was in me jacket pocket for 3 weeks field firing end of last year, crawling throug rivers, through tunnels all th good soldiery stuff, i was cut scratched bruised and hanging out but he phone was fine/still is, alltough, te black back had some rubs the screen itself was near enough unmarked considering, just one tiny little scratch that people only noticed when i piont it out.

hope it helps

The iPhone certainly has the best touch screen (something about 'capacitive' vs 'resistive' from memory), though it's not the most powerful/feature rich in it's current form...though the new update might change that, I've not been following it.

There's a bunch of Windows based phones from HTC that are pretty good; Touch Diamond 2, Touch Pro 2, Touch HD, etc that are all pretty good, depending on how many features you actually want. Most have GPS, though you don't always get the software supplied, but as it's Windows you can probably 'find' the relevant TomTom/CoPilot package on the Internet. :D

HTC have done a good job of hiding the otherwise pretty clunky - from a touch perspetice - Windows UI behind a slick UI. And as it's Windows you get the typical browser, youtube, exchange sync, stuff too.

A selection are available on contract with O2 under the XDA brand, I've currently got an older Orbit2 model that does phone/PDA/satnav for me and works well.

Ive got the Blackberry Storm and have untold amount of trouble with it! Its put me off touch screen's now! A simple task of writing a message is made ten times harder than it should!

I want rid and to go back to my Nokia N95 8GB!

Was never a big fan of the iPhone..... had one on trial for a 14 days and couldn't get on with it. Lack of picture messaging and copy/paste, the camera was pretty naff and it couldn't take videos. Plus I didn't like the lack of keyboard either, but still wanted a touch-screen phone.

I ended up buying a T-mobile G1 which has a fold out keyboard. It's a pretty ugly phone, but the qwerty keyboard and blackberry style trackball make it pretty user friendly however you want to use it. Camera isn't great at 3.2megapixel, but it's better than camera on the iPhone and it reasonable enough.

Each to their own, some people love the iPhone and it does have some great features, I just couldn't get on with it, I like keys.

HTC Touch HD here, very nice and intuitive phone. Screen is accurate and it have everything you could potentially look for :)

Same here and love it.

WM6.1, which you can upgrade to WM6.5 if you don't mind playing with your toys.. :)

Touch Flow does hide most of the horribleness of WM, but as it's WM there are loads of apps (free of otherwise, Tom Tom for example) that will load up and run without too much trouble...

Did I mention I love my HD?

i dont mind touchscreens, they can be fiddly sometimes but i love gadgets :D ive got a blackberry storm on vodafone, its awesome yet i have no issues with the sofware at all :shrug: i would probly prefer my old curve though

I had a viewty before and now have a Google G1.

Having only a touch screen can become a bit annoying sometimes, with no physical button to feel, and i wasn't a fan of the Viewty anyway. The G1 has a fold out keyboard which is fantasic for writing texts, much quicker, but it's also touch screen as well. As kill1308 said though it is quite an ugly phone. Love all the apps you can download though.

I'd wait for the yanks to get their hands on the Palm Pre when it's launched over there tomorrow, and see what they think of it then consider waiting a few months for it to be released here in the UK.

The iPhone is a marvelous achievement but the novelty wore off very quickly for me and I don't like the idea that it's not extend-able at the core - i.e you can't have things that run and monitor in the background, no constant open wifi scanning, no sat nav, no umm, anything actually that might sit in the background and notify you of stuff, except what's already built in.

I have had a HTC Magic here for a couple of weeks now. It was severely limited out of the box, being a Google branded ("..with Google") variant, but the HTC-tweaked firmware/rom has made it to t'internet and now it's a great bit of kit - full inbuilt Exchange contacts/calendar/mail, pdf viewer, office viewer, 3g tethering via wifi etc, but it's still a bit dull and dark.. compared to the Palm Pre the menus just look so dull and boring.

I'm a big Nokia fan, love my e51 and am keen to get my hands on the E55 or possibly E52 when they're finally released, but they're not touch-screen.

I'd check out Palm Pre user opinions after tomorrow, and put it between that and an iPhone. iPhone is butt ugly and bulky BTW. iPod touch v2 is almost perfectly proportioned.

The iPhone certainly has the best touch screen (something about 'capacitive' vs 'resistive' from memory), though it's not the most powerful/feature rich in it's current form...though the new update might change that, I've not been following it.

The Android phones (T-Mobile G1, HTC Magic) have capacitive touch screens too. Just think of it like this: a capacitive touchscreen is the same as the touchpad on your laptop. A resistive touch screen is a grid mesh of wires sat on top of the screen that have to be pressed to make a circuit.

I forgot to say, Windows Mobile is pathetic. It's Windows 3.1 for smartphones. Avoid it.

hi guys bit of info needed, contracts nearly up , im with vodafone , what are these touch screen phone like for ease of use and do the screens mark up through touching .

thanks peter

Screens don't mark much.

Biggest problem for me is that I can type/text much more easily on a proper keypad, because they have the touch-type notches on the keys. I've switched back to my E51 from the HTC Magic, but then I don't own the Magic (it's on loan from a phone shop), and I have TomTom on my E51 too.

They're brilliant for web browsing and viewing graphical (HTML) emails, due to the bigger screens and the easy panning/scrolling.

I'm not into touch screen phones and the Iphone is absolutely USELESS in my opinion. Of course each to their own and all that but if you use the Iphone the battery WILL die every day. Its funny because i like touch screen devices.

I absolutely LOVE my Ipod touch, i use it daily and i pretty much couldn't be without it (not even just for the music). The little games and apps are excellent and can keep you amused for hours. if i had to rely on my touch as a phone it would be hopeless as my battery would be dead daily lol.

I have the N85 and i love it, the radio transmitter is going to be a pre-requesit for any phone i buy from now on. The N85 had a few glitches so needs to be kept up to date on the software front but other than that its excellent.

I would make sure you have a play with a touch screen phone to make sure it really is for you. I think it would be fun at first but, like any fad, you would get bored quite quickly.

I'm not into touch screen phones and the Iphone is absolutely USELESS in my opinion. Of course each to their own and all that but if you use the Iphone the battery WILL die every day.

Mine lasts about 2.5 days which is fine for me..and I use it quite a lot.

The new version will have better batteries and a less power draining screen I've no doubt.

I use it for everything, but I'm a very tech person so play with all the features and cool apps.

As for txt messaging pictures? Why does anyone bother with that. TXT is dying in favour of Email, Twitter and blogs etc. I take a pic, it sends it straight to a gallery for me, it creates an entry either in Facebook or Twitter feed linking to that image. Or I can email direct.

Can't wait to see the new video features and decent zoom camera at last on the new one. Should find out on Monday.

Mine lasts about 2.5 days which is fine for me..and I use it quite a lot.

The new version will have better batteries and a less power draining screen I've no doubt.

I use it for everything, but I'm a very tech person so play with all the features and cool apps.

As for txt messaging pictures? Why does anyone bother with that. TXT is dying in favour of Email, Twitter and blogs etc. I take a pic, it sends it straight to a gallery for me, it creates an entry either in Facebook or Twitter feed linking to that image. Or I can email direct.

Can't wait to see the new video features and decent zoom camera at last on the new one. Should find out on Monday.

Does the iphone last longer than the itouch? I get about 2-3 hours of intensive "playing" with the touch. Thats on full brightness though.

I'm not into touch screen phones and the Iphone is absolutely USELESS in my opinion. Of course each to their own and all that but if you use the Iphone the battery WILL die every day. Its funny because i like touch screen devices.

I was told that having bluetooth and wireless always on made a big different to battery life. Hope that helps.

I love my Iphone.

Does the iphone last longer than the itouch? I get about 2-3 hours of intensive "playing" with the touch. Thats on full brightness though.

I think all phones are like that, regardless of fancy touch-screen or not.

I won't get three hours of TomTom out of my E51, and that's a basic candybar with a tiny screen.

To be fair I won't be going back to a button phone, touchscreen all the way. I was starting to get pains in my thumb with constantly texting women :D. I do agree on the poor battery though, as said before hopefully the next one will have updated battery capability.