The mkiv Supra Owners Club

touch screen phones

peter richards

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally don't like them... for me there is something about having a physical button and being able to feel it. Mel loves her viewty which is purely touch screen, but I can't get on with it.

Agreed its def personal choice.. I have LG renoir and love it!... Tony hates them tried one for couple of days and changed as he just couldn't get on with it!... said exactly the same he wants BUTTONS!.

didnt want it to look shite after a few months if the screens scratch easily

Peter, are you a phone-chucker? I don't mean deliberate damage to the phone, but just general usage. Mel REALLY looks after hers, always in her bag, or safe and sound on the table, whereas mine drops out my pocket, gets thrown around a bit. The problem with touch screens I've found is that they are a large screen and if even a bit of it gets damage the phone is useless. HOWEVER if you have insurance on it, it might not be a completely bad option.

The iphone is the dogs gangly bits! The best touch phone you can get on the market an has been for past two years! Though only avaliable on 02 (though I have hacked mine to work on tmobile).

You cant send picture messages on these though can you?

no gav im a fussy sod so keep all my gear neat as poss

I'm not an iphone fan, but it is a lovely bit of tech kit and has some really awesome features. I've even done some silly stuff like having a windows desktop running on it in the past. GrahamS has one and he does really like it.

I've had a Tocco since last year and love it to bits, the only issue is there is dust appearing under the screen, but no scratches and still works fine. I've never liked the iPhone cos it seems to be form over function. I like the touch screen idea in general, it's a nice way of getting more stuff in the same space, screen and buttons all in one.

One of my lads has an iPhone. He was running one day and it fell out of his pocket.. into the gutter, and got promptly ran over by a bus (you couldn't make this up). The screen smashed up completely to the point of 'just about' being able to make out what was on it.. the things still works.. no problems with the touch screen at all (apart from the obviously visual impairment) and the back of it looks untouched. Very robust bit of kit..

The only thing was you can't replace 'just the screen', he had to get a complete new unit... at a cost of £400 :blink:

The only thing was you can't replace 'just the screen', he had to get a complete new unit... at a cost of £400 :blink:

A mate of mine bought a replacement on eBay and fitted it:

[Youtube]

It's a great phone. Does so much more and does it so much better than all my other old phones. Camera is a bit lacking, but I have a DSLR.

Hang on.. You can't send pic message with the I-Phone?!! That's aweful, i send and recieve loads of pics messages. Couldn't do without it!!!

Mine does. I have 3.0b software on it, which will be released this summer which includes many things... one of them is fabled picture messaging. I always ask people to picture message my email address - works much better as the files for MMS must be

You can send MMS's with the old firmware system but it's through a 2nd party app. (Works just fine) But the new 3.0 OS is coming along with a 3rd gen iPhone too which does fix it all.

Only problem for Pete is that it's O2 only (if you can't be doing with jailbreaking etc like me)...

not bothered about changing network , was with orange for years then vodafone but not that immpresed with them tbh for a big company

Then IMO there is no touch phone like the iPhone...it really is a brilliant phone and I hate Apple.

I'll be upgrading to the new one as soon as it's out. Which is in July so it's worth waiting for that...

I have a full hard case with screen protector (that stays in place yet still allows you to use the phone) which has saved the phone from damage countless times. The Griffin, Elan I believe.

The new software update at end of June for Iphone will allow you to send MMS (although you can already through the MMS app). Other updates will include SMS forwarding plus other improvements.

Most things can be achieved by jailbreaking the phone at present anyway.