The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Memory Card Speeds

V

I'm just about to buy a camera (http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/LUMIX+Digital+Cameras/Super+Zoom/DMC-FZ28/Overview/1258590/index.html)

+ a decent memory card, probably SDHC 32Gb.

I would like the quickest possible which might mean x2 16Gb (maybe Micro for furture proofing)?

I found a site early this year which enabled you shortlist a group and it gave the Read and Write speeds in a bar graph and they covered just about all cards, but i cant find it now :(

Can you shed any light on this please?

Many thanks

32Gb? How many pictures are you planning on never transferring to your PC?

10.1 Megapx means the files are going to be what?....5 to 6Mb each? Even when I go to Le Mans and shoot off about 1600 photos over a weekend, I never need any more than maybe a couple of 4Gb cards. And of course, they get transferred to my PC pretty quickly and the card cleared before I need the storage again.

The other thing is to avoid getting one huge card. Go for at least 2 smaller ones instead. That way, if you lose the data because of any sort of fault, you'll only lose some of your pics. Put them all on one card and you'll potentially lose the lot.

As for speeds, Sandisk Extreme III are pretty good - never given me any problems and always been fast enough. Come to think of it, their Ultra II's are good enough for most too.

Thoroughly recommend the FZ28 ;)

I'm also using Sandisk Extreme III 4GB

However as you're going to be shooting HD video I guess 4GB won't be enough.

Maybe start with an 8GB Extreme III and see how you go? :)

Thank you.

I bought a Sandisk Extreme III 16Gb (Amazon cheapest from a reputable comp) which should do me for a while, plus it’s the quickest largest SD card available.

Had a problem with my order so my camera didn’t arrive for a weekend play :( but should be here tomorrow :D

FWIW, you're looking for Class 6 SD cards

Rating Speed (MB/s) SD Class

6x 0.9 n/a

10x 1.5 n/a

13x 2.0 2

26x 4.0 4

32x 4.8 4

40x 6.0 6

66x 10.0 6

100x 15.0 6

133x 20.0 6

150x 22.5 6

200x 30.0 6

266x 40.0 6

300x 45.0 6

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers Alex.

Just to say the Extreme III is bloody quick!!

I would buy another no question. Worth the extra IMO.

In normal use I reckon I transfer 10mp images twice as quick as 5mp on a Ultra II card.

Cheers Alex.

Just to say the Extreme III is bloody quick!!

I would buy another no question. Worth the extra IMO.

In normal use I reckon I transfer 10mp images twice as quick as 5mp on a Ultra II card.

So you now have your Panny FZ28?

Any nice pics you'd like to share? :)

I just bought a Sanyo Xacti CA8 and was looking up just the same thing yesterday. The Sandisk Extreme III seems to be the card to have, but I will probably get the Ultra II as that should be quick enough for 8mp pictures and MP4 video.

The write times between the cards are surprisingly small, but the cheap ones really are worth avoiding.

Yup. not all class 6's are the same by a long way, as per Alex's post.

No good piccys yet. havent had a good chance to use it yet, although I used at a Newmarket Races where thay have some band(s) playing after racing:

Belinda Carlisle

T'Pau

Johnny Hates Jazz

Curiosity Killed The Cat

Kid Creole and The Coconuts

Midge Ure

Paul Young

Obvioulsy BC is the best there, so a snapped a view off. It was quite dark and a reasonable distance away, although i was impressed.

I'll post some up.

The video quality is good although the sound is GOD AWFUL. i dont know if it was loud for it, but its crap.

• 3 weeks later...
Lbm,

well you've asked - not sure if they're nice...

Some are very good indeed.

The indoor performance shots are always tricky with low light using this kind of camera. With higher ISO's needed yet compromising the images etc. I guess you were't excatly going to take a tripod to the gig. :)

I like the animal shots in particular and believe you've captured some fab images with this camera.

How are you enjoying the FZ28 so far, and did you use A, S, P, M mode or IA?