The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Driveshaft nightmare!

EdMorris

I've done a lot of searching and come up with not a lot.

I'm trying to fit a 6 speed diff (large casing) into my n/a. Thats no problem but getting the driveshafts to mate to this and my non abs hubs is the nightmare. I've spoken to Steve Manley and done extensive 'toyodiy' part searching, but can't seem to find part no.s for 6 speed non abs shafts (I need the shorter one on the left side, the right side are all the same length).

Keron on here suggested re-using the outboard joint from the old shafts so they'll fit the hubs, but I can't do this as the threads are knackered.

So, my next thinking is to change the hubs to accept the abs rotors. Is this possible? Would it be a case of changing the whole assembly or could I get replacement bearings, seals, etc to modify my existing hubs?

Failing all that, do you think that the n/a diff with n/a shafts would be up to 400bhp. If so I may just reinstall what I took off for the time being and have another think about it once the car is working again.

Any help greatly appreciated as this is doing my head in :blink:

Ed

Right, so that sorts out that bit of confusion. Jezz, any thoughts on the hub modification? Possible? Worth the bother, too expensive?

I'd just use the shaft ends from your NA shafts mate. Easy enough to do for little expense. ABS hubs will set you back £200 odd with postage.

I have some 6 speed 1996 hubs that I swapped out when doing my wheel bearings. They were bought and replaced as a matter of course - I don't think they were worn. I can send some decent photos if needed?

As a matter of interest, what did new hubs set you back (if you remember). Thanks

The bigger TT manual C/V joints have bigger outer splines, and need the matching hub flanges. One of the things people don't know about or consider, and one of the reasons I always say for most people, (not you, your car is quite radical...) selling an N/A and buying a proper TT is the only cost effective route to TT performance and original reliability.

OK Ed - I have some pics of the hubs that got swapped out when my wheel bearings were changed. Do you want me to email them to you?

Just to be 100% clear - these are from a 1996 Facelift non vvti Manual RZ Twin Turbo.

(They still have part of the inner bearing race and the outer seal on them - I told the guy swapping them just to pull them out and fit all the new stuff so he didn't bother faffing around when not required).