The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wikipedia - morbid articles

caseys

Well if you fancy a bit of reading of some morbid stuff there's quite a bit of fascinating stuff on Wikipedia.

Have been looking at this, after reading about the Air France crash I went onto this :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accidents_and_disasters_by_death_toll

The Halifax and Fauld explosions are shocking. As is the Texas City Disaster (A ship full of explosives blew up, sending 6250 tons of steel ship apart at supersonic speeds and a 160km tsunami), levelling every building within a 1km and vapourising a fair few people.

Also for those war/gore people

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731

Kinda shocks you as to what mankind is able to do :( Makes you realise what people in the armed forces possibly have had to suffer PoW / Capture wise.

Apologies if I seem a bit gross, it's morbid curiosity I know. Please feel free to post any articles about kittens / fluffy items if you do so wish.

That's something to book mark for the weekend..

Although this amazes me.

Ufa Train Explosion..

Liquid gas explosion almost the same strength as the Hiroshima explosion.

Three hours before the explosion, engineers noticed a drop in the pressure, but they turned up the pressure back to normal instead of checking for leaks

Although this amazes me.

Ufa Train Explosion..

Liquid gas explosion almost the same strength as the Hiroshima explosion.

If you thought that was bad, read the Texas City one :

Around 08:10, a fire was spotted in the engine room of the Grandcamp, which quickly spread to the cargo hold. Conditions within the hold may have allowed for spontaneous combustion, although suspicions of sabotage were also examined by federal investigators. The fire may have been caused by a discarded cigarette. As it progressed, there were reports of crackling gunfire inside the ship, consistent with the sound of the ammunition cargo exploding.

Shortly before 9:00 AM, the Captain ordered his men to steam the hold, a firefighting method where steam is piped in to preserve the cargo. The heat from the steam caused the ammonium nitrate to break down into water vapor and nitrous oxide, producing more heat and leading to thermal runaway. Meanwhile, the fire had attracted a crowd of spectators along the shoreline, who believed they were a safe distance away.[3]

At 09:12, the ammonium nitrate reached an explosive threshold of 850°F (454°C). The vessel then detonated, causing great destruction and damage throughout the port. The tremendous blast sent a 15-foot (4.5 m) tsunami/tidal wave surging over nearly 100 miles (160 km) of the Texas shoreline, leveled nearly 1,000 buildings on land, and sunk virtually every ship within the harbor. A chain reaction caused an explosion on board the High Flyer and ignited refineries on the waterfront, destroying the Monsanto Chemical Company plant and several explosive facilities. Falling bales of burning twine added to the damage while the Grandcamp's anchor was hurled across the city. Sightseeing airplanes flying nearby had their wings sheared off [4], forcing both out of the sky. The blast caused people in Galveston, Texas, 10 miles (16 km) away, to drop to their knees. Windows were shattered in Houston, Texas, 40 miles (60 km) away. People felt the shock 250 miles (400 km) away in Louisiana. The explosion blew almost 6,350 tons of the ship's steel into the air, some at supersonic speed. Official casualty estimates came to a total of 567, but many victims were burned to ashes or literally blown to bits, and the official total is believed to be an underestimate. The entire volunteer fire department of Texas City was killed in the initial explosion, and with the fires raging, first responders from other areas were unable to reach the site of the disaster.

Caused possibly by a disgarded cigarette.... on a ship full of raw explosives.

Wow.. you just sent me off on a research mission! I didn't know anything about this :)

I seem to be on a WW2 thing since the trip to Authwitz..

Need to know! must find out! :blink::)

Unit 731 indeed if sickening. Makes gassing people look humane :(