The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Swap Supra for my TVR Tuscan

Harvez

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my mate had 1 of these, must be said the supra is alot more of a car so people who was thinking TVR dont bother, he had nothing but problems and in the end sold it for 5k less then what it was worth jusT to get it gone.

Looks the dogs shame its made by TVR, and not really that quick iether 400hp supra is alot faster.

well its upto who ever reads it make's there own choice but from experiance they are not a good car, reason why he is getting rid after only 3 months.

If work is forcing him to sell his beloved car then why would he need to swap it for a scooby - rx8 - supra - bmw, if work was forcing me to sell my car then id need the money not another car.

Sorry to the guy selling it but he needs to reword the advert as it dont make sense ?

my mate had 1 of these, must be said the supra is alot more of a car so people who was thinking TVR dont bother, he had nothing but problems and in the end sold it for 5k less then what it was worth jusT to get it gone.

Looks the dogs shame its made by TVR, and not really that quick iether 400hp supra is alot faster.

Having owned a TVR, there is a lot of sense in this post :)

Great cars that are brought with the heart not the head, they a well known for being trouble, he even states that in his ad, if you thought the Sup was a money pit, try owning one of these when they start to go wrong

They are a real weekend toy only, not an everyday sports car IMO

Still would have another though if that makes any sense at all :D

Having owned a TVR, there is a lot of sense in this post :)

Great cars that are brought with the heart not the head, they a well known for being trouble, he even states that in his add, if you thought the Sup was a money pit, try owning one of these when they start to go wrong

They are a real weekend tou only, not an everyday sports car IMO

Still would have another though if that makes any sense at all :D

You're depressing me now :(

Tuscans are *the* sexiest cars ever designed imo :)

Is there any reason one of you clever mechanic types can't drop a more reliable TT lump in one of these? or it more than just engine problems? electrics seem to feature quite heavily too with these I think?

Of course, a supra that weighs 300kg more, and has turbos to spawl is bound to be "alot" faster then a 400bhp n/a, isnt it ... I was going to ignor this comment but .. So you spend £3/4k getting it up to 400bhp, then that about the handling? 1k on suspension? £700 on tyres? then what about the braking? 2k? So yes i agree mate if you want to spend 6/7k on a supra im sure it will be the same performance. But "alot" faster? hmm. Seeing as ive owned both the TVR and a 400+ Supra. I believe a Supra would match its speed from a rolling start racing out of mcdonalds car park, but on a track? im not so sure. And i love supra's.

Again just for num nuts benifit. I own two cars, the Tuscan and a Nissan Navara. Im self employed but work for the same company every time. They are telling me i will have 3 months maybe more, maybe less with no work. My truck blew an engine, very common fault on the D22 engines. So I am now left with a tuscan to use for work, and going to the girlfriends which is a 50 mile round trip and everything else. I need something more practical i can use and not have to worry about the miles as the truck is out of action. Something i can leave anywhere and not worry. Ok?

I've used the Tuscan as a weekend car so i cant really comment on if they are a daily car or not. But if you check out on the forums alot of people that do use them daily.

But you shouldnt get one because nums mate lost money on one :blink:You get your dogs, as you do with any car. I had more problems with my supra in the first 3 months then i did with my TVR. Prehaps i should head over to the sale section screaming dont buy one. I'm not selling a car which you cant see untill you've handed over the cash, you can spend as much time as your heart desires listening, checking, testing the engine. Im not a scam artist looking to rip someone off.

If you have any questions prehaps ask me? I will give honest answers :) Or we could all just go on numnuts mates opinon on his old TVR. I have a another friend with one who has also had no problems. A well looked after TVR will last. I just personally couldnt live with one every day doing the miles i do. And yes i wouldnt like to own one if one went wrong.

Sorry if my post seems a little hot headed. But unhelpful posts dont help anybody. Constructive, yes.

Mike - The eletrics are a bit tempermental. Nothing major just sometimes have to press the door opening switch twice or windows wind up slowly. If you have a bit of sense of humour and patients you're be fine.

Regards to the engine i think they did build a bullet proof lump. Trouble with TVR's prehaps proved here, is you get ALOT of people with ALOT of different opinons. You also get people who have never owned one commenting. Some say a Tuscan with a rebuilt engine is good thing, others say its not. Some say they are a daily car, some say not. So my experance of TVR ownership may be different to anothers, like nums mate

Feel somewhat like this whole topic has got out of hand. But i just wanted to answer some questions and comments from my own experance and others i know off

Regards

Guest Budz86

To be fair, littlenum is only stating the experience's he has had with TVR's. At the end of the day, this is an owners club. We try and look out for each other by recomending traders/garages/parts etc. We also discuss cars strangely enough.

Everyone is an adult and capable of making up their own mind. If they decide not to buy a car because of one recommendation, so be it. Their choice, and they probably had a preconception of the car anyway! But most would do a vast ammount of research from several sources and make their decision based on that.

Based on a friends car and opinon. I wouldnt of mind if he so much as said " My Friend had a bad experance " but not so much " Dont buy one ". I understand forums i've been around them enough but im not out to stitch anybody up. Ive been hoovering on this forum for well over a year. From the time i used to have my supra.

As you can see in my ad i did ask to do some research first. I dont think ive been unfair in anything in reply. Ive not come out to start a computer arguement :rolleyes:

Mate im not trying to shoot you down at all, and my mate drove his like an old lady and still had problems with clutch, over heating and electrical plus small niggles, bearing in mind it was only 2 years old dont really give much confidence does it, as for handling check this tread out and sill tell me your TVR would keep up.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=182889

Now yes this is single turbo but was running a mild 450 hp and is a uk spec so is heavier then a j spec 1580kg in fact.

Based on a friends car and opinon. I wouldnt of mind if he so much as said " My Friend had a bad experance " but not so much " Dont buy one ". I understand forums i've been around them enough but im not out to stitch anybody up. Ive been hoovering on this forum for well over a year. From the time i used to have my supra.

As you can see in my ad i did ask to do some research first. I dont think ive been unfair in anything in reply. Ive not come out to start a computer arguement :rolleyes:

I thought it looked clean. Thank you :D

Wow talk about chalk and cheese. Ones a mass produced kit car for weekend driving and watching being repaired every other week and the other is a mass produced mid range sports car.

All the guy asked was did anyone fancy swapping cars. I'm not a TVR fan either but thats no excuse for lynching the poor guy.

The car looks nice Harvez, and I believe if you get a Supra, we will be saying welcome back to the fold.

Just for the record if you spent £3/4k getting 400bhp out of a Supra you will have been mugged!! More like £700 (See Whifbitz - £660 kit).

It's a real shame that Tuscans and other TVR's end up with these electrical niggles and that the costs of getting them fixed appear astronomical. I would be stunned however if it ever came close to the ownership of my Supra though I admit I tear the gut's out of it an every drive and it is a daily driver.

I still love 'em though and I think that Harvez has been very fair in his description and his yearning to get back to Supra life. I also hold a lot of respect for Little Num (though I think I prefer Num nuts ;)) and he is also right in pointing out the experiences for other Forum members.

It's a reasonably healthy debate, not helpful for the guy trying to sell the TVR but out there and honest opinions.

I personally don't think you'll have an issue selling it at that proce but for the sake of a couple of hundred quid you could get all those niggles fixed and at least remove some of the negatives from this particular advert and then price it at £12,700.

All the best with the sale Harvez, thanks for the input Big num.

There... hows that for sitting on the fence :rolleyes:

i kinda like num nuts lol as when ive been driving my sup for about 3 hours they are.

I hope you get a supra but again exspect problem they are 15 years old now and starting to go wrong as i have found out, in the last 6 months ive changed almost everthing even oil pump and front crank seal which was a real pain in the ass.

Maybe i bought the dog but its starting to turn into a pedigree lol

I always spend my time finding out as much info about a car as possible, thats the good thing about forums and the search button on prevous posts lol. Its not writen in stone yet that i'll get another supra im tempted by so many other cars. Just high up there on the list

I always spend my time finding out as much info about a car as possible, thats the good thing about forums and the search button on prevous posts lol. Its not writen in stone yet that i'll get another supra im tempted by so many other cars. Just high up there on the list

When i had money in my pocket i was looking for a uk 6sp but couldnt find 1, so i started looking around as the cash was burning my leg badly, i looked at M3's - TVR - porche - skyline's but couldnt find anything that compared to the supra with looks performance and reliabilty for the cost, and then out of nowhere popped up on pistonheads was a silver uk 6sp so i bought it, since then ive been a broken man :( wife love's the car more then me, and it never seems to stop taking money but i would never sell it :) i will take it to the grave with me, or it will take me to the grave with it more like ;).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.