The mkiv Supra Owners Club

anyone own a rx8

liam1

looked at them awhile ago and was tempted went again on saturday to have a look at some, the wife is very keen on me getting one so my n/a might be going it wil be a weekend car so im not to bothered about the amount of oil/fuel they use plus my son had a bit more room in the back, just holding out now till a one comes along with the right colour and spec im after.

get the 231 model, 6 gears instead of 5, revs to 9k instead of 7k, xenon lights and headlight washers.

Oil consumption isn't bad, 1 litre every 1000 miles for me.

Fuel economy, oh dear :(

Bit like driving a VTEC, power comes in around 6500 and you need to take it all the way to 9k to get the best out of it but once you get used to it, well it's great fun :)

Handling is spot on, one of the best handling cars I've owned.

Interior is fantastic and a great place to be, don't worry about the sat nav option, I waited to get one with it and wish I hadn't as they really are terrible!

FMSH is a must and ensure all recalls have been done, there are a few.

Oh, the engine is reliable, clocking over 150k with them in the states already.

Other than that, I'm bloody glad mines is going next week :rlol:

Couple of things to be aware of whilst I remember.

When idling it'll sound lumpy, that's normal.

Oil dipstick may have mayo on it, don't panic as that's normal as well, all to do with the breather system, they did a recall to fix it but if it hasn't been done, don't worry.

Cats are prone to failure if car has been flooded, just never turn the engine off whilst it's still cold and you'll be fine.

Ask if the coils have been changed, if not and it's around 50k then expect them to go (£230)

Coolant light on and level fine, expect a bill for £240 as the sensor is in the coolant bottle and whole thing needs replaced, very common fault (just happened to me).

Oil cooler pipes should have been done under recall and the rear arches should have been sealed to prevent crap getting in and rusting the car away!

They all come with an 8 year anti corrosion warranty.

I have owned mine for 6 months now, and am loving it.

Good handling, wacky styling. Totally different.

Awesome soundtrack up towards the redline.

As Todd said above get one with fmsh, I got mine at less than 3 years old , so still with Madza warranty.

Depreciation is horrendous for the first few years, I think mine cost about 24k new, and I paid a gnats over 1/3 of that for it at 2.5 years old.

There is a PZ available, which has different wheels, harder suspension, different boot spoiler, but only in 2 colours, black and silver. I would have bought one of then, but I love the metallic (called velocity) red, quite stunning in bright sunlight.

Good luck

Someone seems to have left a massive 'Japanese style' plectrum in your engine bay? :)

LOL Plectrum never thought of it that way lol i like it, bought it off another member but paint job wasn't great so got them painted again, just waiting on the chrome cold air intake.:)

Todd i'm getting it mapped with the Cobb unit once the hi-flow cat shows up and later on i'm going with the stage 2 pettit supercharger.