Plane lost near Brazil.

jamesmark

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bomb threat? Not heard anything .

You'd be amazed how many bomb threats airports get though :taped:

I personally wouldn't bud, remember who i work for too ;)

Not sure on how much truth there is in this but it is alleged that France Air, or whoever the airline company were, received a bomb threat the day of the disappearance. The source is somewhat questionable but will leave it at that.

I personally wouldn't bud, remember who i work for too ;)

Not sure on how much truth there is in this but it is alleged that France Air, or whoever the airline company were, received a bomb threat the day of the disappearance. The source is somewhat questionable but will leave it at that.

It says in the news article above they had one 4 days before the crash.

What's more to say though?

The victims, the after effects of the crash, the progress of the search etc, a little more detail that they have found a few things.

How the grieving relatives are being cared for? As even in this tragic time the support they will be receiving will no doubt be 2nd to none (although the beginning was a bit iffy I read)

This is a cloud top temperature image of the storm that Air France flight 447 flew through at the time that radio contact was lost. For those familiar with these type of images, I think it's easy to see why the plane had no chance. The white line shows the course of the flight and the times of last radar contact and the time that automated messages were transmitted indicating structural failire. The pilot's only option would have been to turn back to Brazil as this TTL level MCS is over 1000 miles wide, making it too wide for the jet to circumnavigate within it's fuel reserves. And from the brightness tempeartures (which are off the scale at less than 208 K), these clouds were well over 15 km high (3 km higher than the ceiling of this plane). I wouldn't have liked to have been on this flight...

http://idisk.me.com/martinirwin/Public/Pictures/Skitch/Outlook-20090604-134119.jpg

tropical tropopause layer (TTL)

Mesoscale Convective System (storm)

The white line is the planned route. I don't have data for the actual route taken (i.e. they would NOT have headed directly into that!)

Don't they get predictions of weather conditions?

They do, the pilot and co pilot look at such things when they get together in the airport and plan the flight, they also have a display on board the plane to show the weather conditions. They can alter their route during the flight to avoid as much as possible bad weather conditions.

They may also have already taken off, the weather in that region is very volatile and can change very quickly. They may not have been able to get the plane turned to avoid the storm due to the amount of fuel it could possibly take to fly around it.

Pilots have my greatest respect for what they do and their level of skill. I wish to train as one, one day.

Good luck with that , sure isnt cheap . I would have loved to have a carer with the RAF flying but its not exactly an easy job to get into .

Yeah chris.

I know a commercial pilot who says he can sort me out with ppl lessons. But i imagine its something i will do in my fifties when i have a little cash to throw around.

I approached the raf for entry into intel but bailed. This was ten years ago. I would have liked to go for fast jet had i sorted out career options sooner. But as it is im blessed with my job and would not leave it to become a pilot.