The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tidying up engine bay

jevansio

I like that fan kit you have. Where did you get that from then? Is it specifically for that rad?

It's an AAP fan kit from MVP, its a straight bolt onto the Koyo rad, not sure if it fits others.

I like the copper look!

Yeah it's not bad, think I'll leave it at that though, TBH when the turbo is on most of it will be hidden.

Nice work :)

What's the deal with the copper spray, not seen that done before, though it does look nice. Does it dry sold? Can't help think it looks like it's been copper greased :D

I just saw it when I was getting the heat wrap Darryl, it says it's mainly for protecting the wrap against spills etc, here's the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/THERMO-TEC-HI-HEAT-COATING-EXHAUST-WRAP-12003-COPPER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2em63Q2el1177QQhashZitem3ca19dbb4bQQitemZ260409506635QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You've done a great job there, I kno how difficult it is to wrap a manifold. Are you still itching :D

Although it's a little different, I think it would look better (and blend in better) in black ;)

Do you want any metal cable ties Jay to hold the wrap tight around the new wrap?

Just about to jump in the bath now, I'm itching like a crotch with an STD.

You know you're right Kev, the copper is too much, I'll get some more spray & do it black. This is the great thing about doing it yourself, you can mull over decisions, if I'd told a garage to do that I'd have to live with my decision.

Got loads of ties bud, but thanks for the offer :thumbs:

Also decided the fule filter had to go now so been out & moved that right out the way, here she is as work finishes tonight.

attachment.php?attachmentid=95212&stc=1&d=1246480738

Img_3906.jpg

Jay it's you're car, I was just giving my opinion :D

When I wrapped my parts, I had on a mask, gloves, and overalls, with the arms and legs taped up as I knew it would itch like a b*tch :)

No Kev, you're spot on, when I stand back & view the photos it juust looks so out of place, I've already bought the black high temp coating off ebay :D

I see i have some compation gonna have to step up my game, looks great mate i would of liked to of seen black spray on the wrap though would of blending in better

Lol, I think I have a bit to go before looking anything like yours bud (I think a full engine bay respray is required to get it looking that good). Guys you're both blob on with the black :thumbs:

I haven't Col, I was looking for something that would push on to make a perfect seal but couldn't find anything. I bought some rubber with a sticky side but I'm sure with the heat the adhesive would just melt away & it would fall off. When I come across something that'll work I'll put it on.

very nice work jay ....ummm i think i better start mine aswell.

Cheers bud, bout time you copied something from me :D, usually the other way round :D

It's blue matey what else LOL.

Ahhh, prolly no good, I'm going black now :D , cheers anyways though

Nice work, looking good :thumbs:
Cheers Wez bud :thumbs:

Tonight I fitted a new power steering tank which I got off Paul Whiffin ages ago, quality item & goes great in the bay. It sits very low & is hardly noticable, not good for most people who would want to show it off, great for me & my minimalistic look :D

I bought some -10 & -7 200 series braided hose, which I've been using for the breather/fuel lines, thought I could do the power steering lines with it.

Went to push it on the PS pump, it went a little way but wouldn't shift, there is like zero expansion in these hoses. Unless anyone has any tips for getting it on (I've tried heat & lubrication) I'm just going back to black rubber for these ones, it's not like you can see much of them anyway :D

Also completed the wiring for the resistor pack to the footwell. I'm going to call a halt to the rest of the wiring until the turbo is on & I can fire the car up, electrics isn't my strong point & I don't want to spend weeks tracking down a dodgy joint after cutting & extending more loom than I have to.

Pics of the PS tank:

attachment.php?attachmentid=95249&stc=1&d=1246568224

attachment.php?attachmentid=95250&stc=1&d=1246568224

attachment.php?attachmentid=95251&stc=1&d=1246568224

Img_3910.jpg

Img_3911.jpg

Img_3912.jpg

Ups & downs today with this. After the Ginger Manifold I received the new black paint, unfortunately it didn't take well to the previous coat. Ended up removing all the heat wrap from both the manifold & downpipe. I'm going to have to buy prolly £150 worth of heatwrap to recover them, plus the time & itching, so pissed off about that. I'll be buying black this time.

To cheer myself up I decided to have a night of polishing & fitting parts, did the covers etc to see how it'll look with the new breather setup. Fitted my old spark plug cover (decided against my idea of having a stock one airbrushed).

Also plumbed the PS tank in using some new rubber hose with anodised fittings on the end which looks nearly as good as the braided.

Also today my new Varley Red Top 25 battery arrived, 6.2kgs so that's a 12kg+ saving over my old battery. With the removal of the heater setup inside the car I should see a nice 30kg drop which will put the car into the high 1300's, maybe 1390kgs.

attachment.php?attachmentid=95306&stc=1&d=1246655934

attachment.php?attachmentid=95307&stc=1&d=1246655934

attachment.php?attachmentid=95308&stc=1&d=1246655934

attachment.php?attachmentid=95309&stc=1&d=1246655934

Img_3913.jpg

Img_3914.jpg

Img_3917.jpg

Img_3919.jpg

Cheers guys, I'm hoping as I put the rest of the bits back on there won't be much change, not really good as photo updates go as it will look like nothing has happened :D

I'm going to make another cover for between the plenum & fuel rail to cover the nastyness there, bought some 3mm aluminium (same as the fuel rail cover) and will get it cut & polished.

The biggest part left to go is the turbo obviously, but that will have a polished compressor & I got a polished 4" inlet pipe so hoping it will look pretty sweet.

Hope your wrap coating spray doesn't burn off like mine did (although I think it was an engine enamel, so prob only 6-800 degrees worth)! I was kicking myself when I discovered that you can buy exhaust wrap in black!!!

Looks good though :)

Got a load done today. Most of it involved the final fitting & securing of stuff. The breather setup is now complete and the tank secured with a bracket.

I decided that for some of the hoses I would go black rather than braided. This was due to it looking like it had driven through a braided hose shop. The one from the plenum to the brake servo was an example, it looked especially bad braided as it crossed the other hoses coming from the plenum, in black it is hardly noticable.

Pretty much waiting for the turbo now.

attachment.php?attachmentid=95360&stc=1&d=1246726557

attachment.php?attachmentid=95361&stc=1&d=1246726557

attachment.php?attachmentid=95362&stc=1&d=1246726557

attachment.php?attachmentid=95363&stc=1&d=1246726557

Img_3922.jpg

Img_3924.jpg

Img_3925.jpg

Img_3934.jpg