The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Who are you voting for?

Charlotte

Ok, so I need to vote in the up and coming European elections. I've had various things through the door but I have no real idea about party policies, what people are bringing to the table etc.

I can't not vote because that would be silly.

Who are you voting for?

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.politicalsurvey2005.com/

This survey I found really good, it asks you your view on certain aspects and then tells you which party you're most aligned to (based on 2005, there maybe a more up to date version?)

I'm Liberal Democrat as they tend to have the most balanced view favouring neither extreme, rich or poor as the two main parties do. A lot of people in the office were suprised they were leaning more to the right in their views than they liked to admit.

I think the issue at the moment is that no one has a clue what the point of these elections are as they've been massively overshadowed by the expenses issue.

For me, I've opted for a anti-EU party as I've had enough of our country being run from Brussels. The EU isn't working as it should, it simply drains the UK of needed money. I'm all for great trade agreements but not policy making.

I am seriously hoping for a General Election so that we can all vote out a PM we never wanted or voted for (royal WE - I've never voted Labour ;) )

Despite the pixellation, the expression on the face of the girl on the left is priceless!

Anyway, back to politics. I really don't like it that the candidates don't seem to bother engaging with the community apart from when election time is here. I don't know the candidates' names, views or their policies. I could find out with a bit of googling, but I think they should be making more of an effort to put their points across throughout the year, not just during the 3 weeks before an election. Must try harder!

That leaves me with a dilemma: do I not bother voting (and join the apathetic millions in wasting my chance to express my opinion), or do I vote for a party (they all fall under this category) that can't be bothered fighting for my vote.

(Aside: I imagine the expenses of MEPs would make the MPs look like shining beacons of integrity. Of course their travelling costs will be greater, that's not my point. I'm talking about how much they push the rules).

I really don't have a problem with the EU. I also look forward to the introduction of the Euro, and now's the perfect time with the pounds being rather weak still.

One day, thosands of years from now (if the world still exists), there will be a global government.

EU is just progression to unity and a more peaceful world......

The problem I have with a single currency is that it would (I think?) take away the UK govt's ability to set interest rates and other fiscal policy based on what's happening in the UK. If conditions in France and Germany make it best to raise interest rates, then interest rates may be raised, even if that would cripple the UK's economy.

*If* the European economies all move in step then it wouldn't be a problem, but do they?

The problem I have with a single currency is that it would (I think?) take away the UK govt's ability to set interest rates and other fiscal policy based on what's happening in the UK. If conditions in France and Germany make it best to raise interest rates, then interest rates may be raised, even if that would cripple the UK's economy.

*If* the European economies all move in step then it wouldn't be a problem, but do they?

I presume that's the idea with a euro government / currency. The burden is spread, therefore in theory we should see less radical changes in interest etc. Whether it works that way is another matter, but would have certainly assisted us in the credit cruch recently if we had the fortune euro countries assisting us....

I think the issue at the moment is that no one has a clue what the point of these elections are as they've been massively overshadowed by the expenses issue.

For me, I've opted for a anti-EU party as I've had enough of our country being run from Brussels. The EU isn't working as it should, it simply drains the UK of needed money. I'm all for great trade agreements but not policy making.

I am seriously hoping for a General Election so that we can all vote out a PM we never wanted or voted for (royal WE - I've never voted Labour ;) )

Seconded, Matt not a 1000 years about 100 maybe 200

Matt not a 1000 years about 100 maybe 200

Are you refering to my statement of a global government?

Jesus, i don't think the world social / economic problems and cultural differences are going to be sorted that fast.

Are you refering to my statement of a global government?

Jesus, i don't think the world social / economic problems and cultural differences are going to be sorted that fast.

I think a world govt of sorts is likely

in my given time frame, not an end to all the

worlds ailments.

:D

My old dad used to say "if labour put a pig up as candidate the folk round our way would vote for it" -- how correct he was lol

are any fluffy bunnies or kittens standing if so Ill vote for them.

Rich

I presume that's the idea with a euro government / currency. The burden is spread, therefore in theory we should see less radical changes in interest etc. Whether it works that way is another matter, but would have certainly assisted us in the credit cruch recently if we had the fortune euro countries assisting us....

I think you put too much faith in the European politicians. This is just my conjecture, but I wouldn't be surprised if greed, cronyism and protectionism is at least as rife in Brussels as it is in Westminster.

After all, we're talking about the parliament that has a dual-location agreement whereby every so often (it still happens AFAIK) the entire parliament operation ups sticks and moves to France IIRC, and spends a bit of time there. That's hideously expensive for not much gain. I'm sure the MEPs would say it's so that they can see what's going on in a different European country and makes them less Brussels-based. I'd say it's because the French threw their toys out the pram about not having a slice of the European Parliament action, so forced a dual location.