The mkiv Supra Owners Club

itunes store download speeds?

RedM

I've just signed up with itunes. I'm downloading some tunes but the speed isn't all that.

I'm seeing about 4-4.5 minutes for files of about 7mb. Seems a tad slow especially as I'm connected at about 4500mbs at the moment.

Is itunes always this slow?

Seems a tad slow especially as I'm connected at about 4500mbs at the moment.

Is itunes always this slow?

WTF are you connected via? A fricking OC-96 or something?

I've downloaded at 2Mb/s before from iTunes, so a 7Mb file in 4 seconds.

I think at 4500mbs your bottleneck will be your storage... if not your RAM! :D

If you haven't got a bottleneck a 7Mb file should take you about erm... 0.015 seconds.

WTF are you connected via? A fricking OC-96 or something?

I've downloaded at 2Mb/s before from iTunes, so a 7Mb file in 4 seconds.

I think at 4500mbs your bottleneck will be your storage... if not your RAM! :D

If you haven't got a bottleneck a 7Mb file should take you about erm... 0.015 seconds.

I have a typical broadband connection. Every aspect of my net usage today has been flying along as I'd expect it to except for itunes which has been a pig.

Having investigated the situation it appears that many users over the past few months have experienced the same issue with Apple et al unable to provide a solution.

I'll continue the downloads later tonight to see if that makes a difference.

I couldn't bring myself to pay for 192kbps.. I'd rather get the disc and rip it properly - it's probably cheaper too :)

It has been more of an experiment. I'm into some fairly obscure music and a lot of what I like isn't easily available. For example, I've been trying for weeks to find a copy of Constructive Semantics by Endeavor. I can only find a copy from the US label that put it out but they want about the same again for postage!

I'm not fussed about sound quality these days. I sold my hi-fi stuff to part fund the Supra. We now only have an old 'ghetto' blaster to play music on or I use my laptop.

TBH I doubt I'll use itune again after this. It has worked out about the same as buying the cds but, as you say, the quality isn't as good.

A bit of a FAIL really.:taped: