The mkiv Supra Owners Club

WolframAlpha - new type of search engine

Alex

For those of you interested;

http://www11.wolframalpha.com/

The new WolframAlpha search engine is live.

The search engine is different from Google, it answers questions, not just give you links to websites.

I tested it...

http://www11.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=What+is+the+meaning+of+life,+the+universe+and+everything%3F

And got the right answer :)

Put a question in that the internet should hold the answer too and you should get a sensible response...

PS - WolframAlpha is $#@!ing aweful.

Hopefully its dropped rather than more money/time pumped into it to try and vagely improve on its $#@!ness.

I don't agree at all, I want to be able to get actual answers to questions, not just a list of websites that might have the answer. I think your response is totally over the top and plain odd.

WA is NOT a replacement for Google etc, it's a complimentary service.

"when does the new terminator film come out"

"Wolfram|Alpha isn't sure what to do with your input."

Massive fail.

Oh FFS...it's a NEW emerging technology, only a gimp would expect it to be perfect from launch. Try date and/or historical fact finding.

Oh FFS...it's a NEW emerging technology, only a gimp would expect it to be perfect from launch. Try date and/or historical fact finding.

How about:

http://www11.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=when+does+terminator+salvation+come+out

Maybe we should wait for wolframbeta.com.

And there inlies its downfall. Users dont want to spend time thinking/trying different question combinations, new technology or not.

And there inlies its downfall. Users dont want to spend time thinking/trying different question combinations, new technology or not.

Users? Or just you?

Personally I can accept trying to phrase things differently to get the desired response and at any rate, it will only get better.

Users? Or just you?

Personally I can accept trying to phrase things differently to get the desired response and at any rate, it will only get better.

Users. As in the majority of people that would try it.

Yes it is a nice idea/concept but describing it as a search engine is simply not right. A website that 'answers' questions is more fitting.

I thought it was only a basic prototype at the moment and only with limited working knowledge. The idea being that it would be developed until it could answer all questions. Alpha wasn't meant to do what Daman wants.

Google is gettign worse and worse in my opinion. It just gives you utter rubbish.

Moaning that it doesn't know everything is a bit like moaning at the launch of the Model T ford that isn't the Mustang..... it wasn't meant to be and wont be for a long time.... Its a start and a damn good one.

I can see why Alex is excited.