The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Satellite navigation advice

Chris Wilson

Sorry, here again :) Also needing a sat nav set up. Needs post code entry, and as big a screen as humanly possible :) For use in truck and car. Don't want lots of things to string together, just a simple to transfer "box" between vehicles. If sound can be put over the radio speakers so much the better, my hearing's lousy these days ;) Nothing too exotic, I tend to be careless with things like this! Thanks again. BTW, truck has both 12 and 24 volt supplies, so no need for 24 volt stuff.

Are you able to fit a double din in the truck?!

If so, im getting one of the latest Alpine Touch Screen Double Din, with CD Player, MP3, Ipod etc etc But its also got a portable Sat Nav, that slots into the unit (after dropping the screen) and you could use it in other car's as a Portable unit (like a TomTom)

http://www.alpine-electronics.co.uk/products/details/mobile-media-stations/iva-w505r.html

Im sure i've seen that portable unit used with a motorised single din screen

You're asking Chris to spend thousands on sat nav? :D

(that said, that is pretty awesome :drool:)

hehe, i thought of combining both his threads into one answer :D

It is a really nice piece of kit, and not that expensive either... well, ive had a look at one website - the Headunit is £750 and the SatNav is £430, so yeah not that cheap :D:D:D

I can get it cheaper than that

I have the TOM TOM 720 Go. You can set it to go through your radio (however it is loud). Also for the less technical/typing you can talk the address to it and it will find it.

Touch screen aswell and is simple to work and I do mean simple, they are probably the most user friendly satnav imo.

http://www.tomtom.com/products/product.php?ID=373&Category=14&Lid=1

Probably get it cheaper than that. :)

have to say my tomtom rarely lets me down at all. mostly its my error. its very easy to use aswell and more than loud enough, i only have it on 60% volume and i can hear it over the nur spec on my bpu car. aswell as the radio. and it also ajusts the volume automaticaly when you turn the radio up etc.