The mkiv Supra Owners Club

824 BHP, light and small engine

Chris Wilson

Its says it has a Vorteca S/C...is this just a typo and meant to be a Vortec S/C? (it looks like one)

I had one of these chargers on a Civic of mine. Went from 160bhp to 300bhp on a 1600cc engine - straight out of the box! Ridiculous mod!

And if it was re-geared would produce in excess of 450bhp!

Sweet looking engine...almost looks like its been a show piece in someones living room. :)

Its says it has a Vorteca S/C...is this just a typo and meant to be a Vortec S/C? (it looks like one)

I had one of these chargers on a Civic of mine. Went from 160bhp to 300bhp on a 1600cc engine - straight out of the box! Ridiculous mod!

And if it was re-geared would produce in excess of 450bhp!

Sweet looking engine...almost looks like its been a show piece in someones living room. :)

Was your civic black by any chance.

Can some one explain the 824 bhp from a supercharger?

Don't think it's just the supercharger that contributes to the overall hp figure:

• Modified Crank bearings & pistons
  • JV6 Rods with 9.2-1 compression ratio.
  • modified head gaskets with cooper rings
  • EA18/18 cams
  • Zytec software and managment.

Can some one explain the 824 bhp from a supercharger?

The vortec system basically uses the drive from the engine to power a gear box, which in turn drive a turbo.

Very simple theory really...their website probably shows it better:

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/category_browser.php?level=1&ln=SUPERCHARGERS

Can re-gear the boxes to produce more boost..or something to that theory. They also use a chargecooler just before the inlet manifold to cool the air right down.

From Austin Rover Online:

'The engine design was then sold to TWR (Tom Walkenshaw Racing) and after some development work on the cambelts and plenums, the engine would make a re-appearance; initially in 3.5-litre form in the Group C Jaguar racing cars, but then in the back of the sensational 217mph Jaguar XJ220.'