The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ferrari throw toys out of pram

Terminator

after reading the full story in the paper today a two tier system is total nuts how is that going to improve the viewing spectacle which is what its all about really ,it would be like the gt series with the 500s and the 300s which i find confusing to watch .

It's not just Ferrari; redbull, renault, toyota, bmw and mclaren won't sign up to a 2 tier formula. If the rules were left alone and the budget limit set to a figure that is attainable by the big teams with existing contracts they must honour then this all goes away.

It's predicted that the unrestricted cars that are subjuct to the cap, will go 3secs per lap faster than the unlimited budget cars which are restricted. But u try and turn a £150m+ business into a £40m one practically overnight. Contracts, employees, facilites etc etc can't just disappear from the books overnight. The human cost alone (mass redundancies) would be awful and 3 new teams wouldn't soak up much of that talent pool. So £40m is unattainable in year 1 (6months from now) and giving new teams a 3sec a lap adv isn't racing.

Fia are c nuts, they seem fully intent on messing with the system, esp the business side without consulting the people running the businesses. The via are trying to bully the teams and prove they are in charge. I hope FOTA explain to them that they don't have the power to make wholesale changes without consultation.

The teams want to save money but you can't expect it overnight.

The fia could just ban certain expensive materials etc etc but they seem intent on wasting money on accountants :(

The teams that are stuck with this are; Williams, Brawn and Force India. They exist as a business only to race. Without racing they just fold. This is why those teams appear on the face of it to capitulate when in fact they have no choice. The FIA and Bernie want all the teams to become this type of team, to give them total control again.

I predict the LeMans/prototype racing will see new teams in 2010...

Well said. I would watch the rally, but theres no one really competing :p

F1 died in the 70's, it's just boring and complete rubbish now if you ask me, so I couldn't give a rats ar5e what they do :).

too young, thank god!

Can someone explain why there are any restrictions at all, not just money but car mods too? Why can't there be unlimited budget and unlimited things that you can do to the car to make it go fast, isn't that the whole point of the thing?

You would have 1 or 2 teams that would just throw stupid money at the car and would run away with it, it would not really be racing.

The salaries excluded were only the drivers AFAIK.

Thats how I understood it, only drivers salaries excluded!