The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Most powerfull battery?

JamieP

Cheers for the links guys.

What sort of power do you require Jamie? Cranking power for starting or deep cycle to run ice etc?

Either case, have a look at the Optima Red Top or Yellow Top:

http://www.optimabattery.co.uk/english_optima/red_top_optima.htm

There's some good battery info on that site as well

It is for my Boat.

Optima marine battery looks promising, i have a optima in the Supra.

Why would it have to be a marine battery? the one in there now looks like a normal car battery.

Needs to start the engine and run my audio, Ai audio is installing a stereo upgrade next week including a flip down TV in the cabin and i want the best battery i can get in there (maybe a couple of them) to ensure i have enough power.

I would think the M5 battery would take some beating. It will run electric heaters, heated front and rear all four heated seats and more for ages on winter mornings before you even start the car. Would that be enough or are you building and electric drag car?

Wouldn't it make more sense to have a small gennie rather than a battery?

Probably both would be a good idea, depending on how long JP is planning on staying on the boat?

The advantage of a small petrol gen set is that 240 volts would be supplied as well as charging the 12v battery(s).

Probably both would be a good idea, depending on how long JP is planning on staying on the boat?

The advantage of a small petrol gen set is that 240 volts would be supplied as well as charging the 12v battery(s).

yup, and when the battery runs flat, you don't have to paddle home :)

I was thinking a small electric start unit.

Nah, all them are good, but none are as good as this one

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/5202/referer/rc_froogle.html

I have one of these as an additional secondary battery, charged via a split charge system on my pickup at work. Its almost indestructable even with 4 x Gas discharge floodlights on the top of the truck, it just keeps on going.

defo go optima, ive got 1 tank that runs 48 volt. had 4 ginormous batterys in there and when i swapped them for pidly little optima red tops it crank so much better and so much easyer. i now use them on everything, all the tanks and monster trucks. gonne put one on the supra aswell. maybe £140 but trust me well worth the money, they only need 1 cell to continue running as the army tested with a rifle :D

Surely ai audio will be able to sell and spec you a battery as most car audio installs require a decent battery and afue power caps if your going to be running subs and afue speakers .

They are but i want to know what other options i have and compare prices.

Nah, all them are good, but none are as good as this one

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/5202/referer/rc_froogle.html

I have one of these as an additional secondary battery, charged via a split charge system on my pickup at work. Its almost indestructable even with 4 x Gas discharge floodlights on the top of the truck, it just keeps on going.

Blimey, £500 for a battery.

• 4 weeks later...

I know a little bit about batts, so am qualified to advise.

This will make some of you raise an eyebrow or two, but, having owned an Optima I would not buy one. Ever. Again. They are far far far overrated and overpriced for what they do. Put it this way, I don't know of many pro SPL and ICE competitors who use Optima, most use HawkerOdyssey or Redflash batts instead.

An Optima is fine as a pure starter battery, whether it is their redtop, bluetop or deep cyle yellowtop. But, the minute you start to draw serious current, it will drown as the avg yellow top is only 55Ah and 690 CCA.

There are plenty of deep cylce gel batts out there for half the price of an Optima. Look to get the biggest CCA and Ah rating you can.

Some ideas for you:

75ah 760CCA (compare that to 55Ah and 690CCA from an Optima YT)

http://www.tayna.co.uk/067TE-Exide-Car-Battery-X-Tra-Plus-XTra-Plus-XP07-P7499.html

105Ah 900CCA (compare that to 55Ah and 690CCA from an Optima YT)

http://www.totalbatteries.co.uk/i-Numax-CXV27MF-Sealed-Leisure-Battery--12V-105Ah-900MCA--500-Cycles-I3791.html

Under £90 shipped to your door for either of those.