The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is ADHD real

extendor

Just interested in hearing about this. Many would say its useless parents and the kids need a good hiding. Others say it is well documented and on the rise because of our way of living.

How do we explain the behavious of our kids?

Thanks

Too much sugar, and not enough exercise.

I would explain more, but I really don't have the time!

I always thought that sugar rushes (in regards to hyperactiveness) was a loads of bollocks and scientificly proven not to cause people to be hyperactive.

I always thought that sugar rushes (in regards to hyperactiveness) was a loads of bollocks and scientificly proven not to cause people to be hyperactive.

I'll do an experiment if you like.

Four year old + bag of fruit M&M's :D

I know what the outcome will be, it takes 30 minutes :rolleyes:

I saw a Mum in town this lunchtime and her kid was a nightmare. She had absolutely no control. The Mum explained her kids behaviour to another Mum she was with saying "he has ADHD".

Personally I think the kid did not have ADHD but that it seemed a convenient excuse for the mum to use in what was quite an embarrassing situation.

ADHD, give them a slap and tell them to behave themselves or get shut in there room till they calm down, oh yeah no TV or games etc.

I would like to see how many kids in slightly poorer countries suffer with such ball crap made up conditions.

IMHO :D

Some kids can clearly cope with processed sugars better than others. Our first just couldn't take sugar, we tried it - we gave him some sweets of some kind and he returned to normal 4 hours later. In that time he was pinging off the walls, disobedient, you couldn't talk to him - the dude was wired ! Ozzy is much better with sugars, but they are still very much limited in the amounts they have.

I know what you mean though, many today are like Homer's parents in the Simpsons 'is there nothing you can do for us Doc ? We've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas' :D I often see kids with 'ADHD' and wonder if they would still have it with correct diet, exercise and discipline.

I don’t know too much in detail about ADD, but here’s my take on it:

ADD could be regarded as another example of ‘medicalisation’, where extremes of behaviour are kind of rebranded as ‘conditions’.

The process seems to go (not necessarily in this order):

1. A behaviour that is out of the ordinary is defined as a ‘condition’ or ‘syndrome’. This already implies a biological/medical interpretation.

2. Biologically minded academics discover brain or other differences that are associated with the behaviour

3. The assumption is made that the brain/physiological differences therefore cause the behaviour

4. As it is now labelled a biologically caused condition, as with other illnesses, a medical solution (such as palliative drugs) is sought.

It may well be that some kids described as ADD do have functional differences in the brain that explain their behaviour. I think the problem is that even if this is true, it doesn’t imply that a chemical control system like Ritalin is appropriate. A ‘medical’ cause doesn’t have to imply a medical solution.

Labelling does fulfill a really useful purpose: it can alert professionals (e.g. educators) and parents that different strategies might be needed with a particular kid. There are definitely kids who struggle with concentration and behaviour, despite every attempt to ‘discipline’ them using methods that work perfectly well with others. Unfortunately, the massive downside is that we tend to see biology as destiny. So kids are absolved from attempting to control their behaviour and some parents might feel likewise.

my thoughts on it are that it shouldnt be classed as a 'condition'. the world is full of people who excell at things and others that dont. some are bright others are as thick as sh*t, some are strong others are weak, some have a very good attention span others dont.

its the same scenerio,imo, as dyslexia. its an excuse for an under achiever in one way or another.

I don’t know too much in detail about ADD, but here’s my take on it:

ADD could be regarded as another example of ‘medicalisation’, where extremes of behaviour are kind of rebranded as ‘conditions’.

The process seems to go (not necessarily in this order):

1. A behaviour that is out of the ordinary is defined as a ‘condition’ or ‘syndrome’. This already implies a biological/medical interpretation.

2. Biologically minded academics discover brain or other differences that are associated with the behaviour

3. The assumption is made that the brain/physiological differences therefore cause the behaviour

4. As it is now labelled a biologically caused condition, as with other illnesses, a medical solution (such as palliative drugs) is sought.

It may well be that some kids described as ADD do have functional differences in the brain that explain their behaviour. I think the problem is that even if this is true, it doesn’t imply that a chemical control system like Ritalin is appropriate. A ‘medical’ cause doesn’t have to imply a medical solution.

Labelling does fulfill a really useful purpose: it can alert professionals (e.g. educators) and parents that different strategies might be needed with a particular kid. There are definitely kids who struggle with concentration and behaviour, despite every attempt to ‘discipline’ them using methods that work perfectly well with others. Unfortunately, the massive downside is that we tend to see biology as destiny. So kids are absolved from attempting to control their behaviour and some parents might feel likewise.

As I said previously, too many sugary 'treats', not enough exercise. :D

"So kids are absolved from attempting to control their behaviour and some parents might feel likewise." Tannhausser

I have two boys and they are as opposite as you could get. The Mrs and I often joke that we have someonelse's kid. The youngest has some sort of condition which the docs call ADHD

How does it present itself. Easily distracted, no sense of danger or consequence, amazing clarity of thought on some things (usually if they interest him) sensitive disposition, totally absorbed in things that interest him, compulsive tendencies, poor relationship with certain authority figures, empathy with others with impaired ability, no sense of time or urgency and the list goes on. According to teachers either disruptive in class or a joy to have in class (according to most teachers).

What the docs say - ADHD, and he is prescribed a high medication which is very carefully monitored both at home, hospital and school. TBH the medication does have a positive effect and helps him slow down and put things in order.

As a younger child he was amazingly hard to control and thankfully as he has got older he is more in control of himself and therefore 'easier' to control. The tablets do help as well but are not used at weekends or evenings so he and we learn to cope in a more secure and tolerant environment. Tantrums and fights are fewer and the relationship with his sibling has improved as he has got older. Thank God his relationship with parents has always been good.

When we see other kids misbehaving and being a handful we feel incredibly sorry for them and the parents because mostly it is the fault of the parent. We had to learn the hard way and for us that meant tens and tens of hours with doctors, psychologiosts and all the rest but in the end what happens is that you acknowledge something is wrong and work with the best bits and cope with the worst bits.

The very worst thing to do is write the child off with a generic 'he has got ADHD'. That might be a title of convenience for the medical profession and for parents that can't cope but it should never be an excuse.

Chris

I can imagine that under some circumstances, medication can be an absolute godsend for parents and for the child. I think that in the past, some doctors were guilty of prescribing it in isolation and at the drop of a hat, but they are doing that less now.

I meant to say in my first post that the other big upside of labelling a condition, ADD for one example and bipolar for another, is the sense of relief that families/individuals get from finally having a name and an explanation for the unusual behaviour.

It's certainly not a simple issue.

ADHD, give them a slap and tell them to behave themselves or get shut in there room till they calm down, oh yeah no TV or games etc.

I would like to see how many kids in slightly poorer countries suffer with such ball crap made up conditions.

:D IMHO

:yeahthat:

My mate calls it DDHD : Discipline Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

I saw a Mum in town this lunchtime and her kid was a nightmare. She had absolutely no control. The Mum explained her kids behaviour to another Mum she was with saying "he has ADHD".

Personally I think the kid did not have ADHD but that it seemed a convenient excuse for the mum to use in what was quite an embarrassing situation.

:yeahthat: