The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Spine compression

Ian C

Everyone knows you're taller at the start of the day than at the end, right? Because when you sleep your spine uncompresses and gravity then recompresses it during the day. I know this through two observations - my rearview mirror is never in the right place for the daily commute when I first get in the car, and doorframes are more hazardous to my head first thing in the morning.

So, after years of 'knowing' that ones spine compresses during the day, I actually decided to measure it, because that's the sort of person I am :)

Morning me = 201cm

Evening me = 200cm

The difference was more like 14mm but as my measurement method was accurate to about 5mm I thought I'd round it to 1cm. So there you go, it's true, and it's about 0.5% of my height or just over 1% of my spine. Fascinating :blink:

-Ian

Yes, at the start of the day I'm 5' 5". By lunchtime - size of a chaffinch!

I postulate that shortarses people will experience less compression distance-wise and possibly less %agewise because of the weight of their upper half. Fatties Heavier people though will experience a higher compression. I need others to try this out :)

-Ian

I postulate that shortarses people will experience less compression distance-wise and possibly less %agewise because of the weight of their upper half. Fatties Heavier people though will experience a higher compression. I need others to try this out :)

-Ian

But being 9'10 as you are, then does 1cm really make that much difference?!

I concur with your observations Ian. For your spreadsheet info, I'm 6' 2 1/2" in the morning and 6' 2 1/4" in the evening.

Furthermore, my nipples are exactly 9 inches apart, in case you want to add another column and continue the survey I started on here back in 2005.

Imagine how much shorter you are after 30 years:(

Pilates, Tai Chi and the like can help prevent 'shortening' in later life and may even make you a little taller as a result of correct alignment of the spine.

Ian, have you tried hanging upside down in a bat-like fashion round about lunchtime to see if you can supress the shrinkage????

I think you need to try it at work tomorrow :D

Furthermore, my nipples are exactly 9 inches apart

In metric please Ewen, we're part of the SI system now..... all Europeanised :rolleyes:

Ian, have you tried hanging upside down in a bat-like fashion round about lunchtime to see if you can supress the shrinkage????

I think you need to try it at work tomorrow :D

In metric please Ewen, we're part of the SI system now..... all Europeanised :rolleyes:

Sorry, 228.6mm.

Just measured the wifes...hers are 310mm apart while standing up, and 965mm apart when lying down.

-Ian

There's some truth to that Ian, according to the docs I'm 2cm taller now than I was 33kg ago (In metric, just for Kranz :D )

Pilates, Tai Chi and the like can help prevent 'shortening' in later life and may even make you a little taller as a result of correct alignment of the spine.

Won't do much for arthritic knees though, probably lost 10mm as the joint lining has gone:( will let you know if having bionic ones helps in a couple of years;)

-Ian

"Normal size" people will surely experience a higher compression than abnormal lanky streaks of... :taped:

My thinking is that they're closer to the large mass that is the Earth and gravitational forces decay with distance. :D

"Normal size" people will surely experience a higher compression than abnormal lanky streaks of... :taped:

My thinking is that they're closer to the large mass that is the Earth and gravitational forces decay with distance. :D

'Top of Everest' test required??? :D