The mkiv Supra Owners Club

2jzgte cams, j spec, uk spec, us spec

johnd-mkiv

Been looking into putting a set of 2jz cams into my 1jz head with little machine work they will fit. I still have a pair of j spec cams from my old supra in he shed, the write ups are mainly from across the pond, they are using the us cams over j spec. Just wondering the gains i would get from using an inlet cam from a uk spec over my j spec, I have found the following info on here but dont have any to hand on the 1jz cams.

he UK spec intake cam has slightly longer duration, higher lift compared to the J-spec, the exhaust cams are identical.

J-spec Cam Specs

Intake Cam - 224°, 7.88mm lift

Exhaust Cam - 233°, 8.4mm lift

UK Cam Spec

Intake Cam - 233°, 8.25mm lift

Exhaust Cam - 233°, 8.4mm lift

About 5 hp gain across the top of the rev range and peak power coming in about 400 rpm later.

We tried it years ago.

Thanks was this using j spec cams or uk cams? I take it this was in a 1jz too

done a bit of research on the 1jz stock cams

224 (in)

228 (ex)

Edited by johnd-mkiv (see edit history)

If swapping 1jz cams with UK 2JZ cams There is an additional .55mm lift on the intake and additional 1.06mm lift on the exhaust. There is also about 10deg more duration.

Machine work needed for both inatke and Exhaust :-

Both Intake and Exhaust Cam need to be machined down to accept the 1jz Cam seal. The nose of the 2jz camshaft (that carries the seal) is 2.5mm wider than the 1jz cam

After this the Intake Cam will fit ok

Now, the exhaust cam needs extra machine work to fit. The 1st Journal on the 1jz cam is 1.5mm longer than that on the 2jz cam.

So the journal diameter on the 2jz cam needs to be increased by 1.5mm

1jz2jz.jpg