The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Clutch and Flywheel - advice, experiences and opinons needed

Mike B

Hi Everyone,

I've lost my gearbox (I'm quite surprised to be honest - but it may have been a combination of harsh clutch and loss of gearbox oil) so it's off getting re-built.

While the box is off we had a chance to look over the clutch and I've been recommended to change the flywheel and clutch.

The clutch I'm using has been on the car for 40k so far and it's never missed a beat, although it's quite aggressive. Its a ferra metallic clutch and seems quite hard on the pressure plate and flywheel. So much so that it has worn the two quite unevenly, the surface is most cetainly very uneven and slightly indented.

So I need some opinions;

please have a look at the following pics. Clutch pads do look worn in real life..

- is so much marking and uneven wear typical on flywheel and clutch plate?

- do I need to replace them?

- what is the best clutch to get for a T67 at 1.5 - 1.6 bar (600hp?)

I had a good search on the forum and while the rps clutch has the most press it seems that it's not all good.

please - all opinions welcomed, A good clutch makes the car much easier to live with.

ABCD0010.JPG

ABCD0011.JPG

ABCD0012.JPG

ABCD0013.JPG

ABCD0014.JPG

ABCD0015.JPG

ABCD0016.JPG

Edited by Mike B
sp (see edit history)

I have a RPS max street clutch with my stage 1 ... works fine.

I hear some good reports, but then I read this;

I have had that much trouble with them i won't supply them I'll fit customers own so long as they sign a disclaimer absolving me if it fails to release properly. It's no good lengthening the clutch pedal to master cylinder shaft until the cylinder is under hydraulic pressure and moving the slave and hence release bearing until it touches the cover's fingers. It MAY well give enough movement then to release better, but all you'll achieve long term is a worn out bearing and damaged fingers. There MUST BE free play in the pedal.

so I was looking at other options....

Hi Mike,

I'm suprised that you think the pedal was heavy. I thought terry had the master cylinder bored out with a larger piston to make the pedal pressure lighter.

With regard to your flywheel, for 40Kmiles that's not too bad..... you should have seen my first 6 puck after 10K, the pads had worn a 1/4 inch deep groove in the flywheel.

In my experience, most of the problems with RPS clutches come when the release bearing & carrier are worn & not replaced at the same time as the new clutch.

Have you asked Matt Harwood what his southbend was like?

John

OS Giken twin plate (marginal if it produces a lot of torque and has good traction), or ideally a triple plate Giken. I can sometimes get these at a good price, but the exchange rate is still `orrible. Of all the multi plate clutches for reasonable money the Giken stuff wins hands down. All cerrametallic clutches are consumables though.

I have a Giken triple plate and love it, peddle pressure is close to stock, it is easy to control. It does what clutches do, rather well. A recommendation from Chris was good enough for me, never regretted buying it. I went with the heavier fly wheel option after a bad experience with a very light flywheel clutch. If I get close to 850bhp I will be buying the quad plate.

Unfortunately the UK Giken dealer site is naff.

The US and AUS sites give good info.

http://www.osgiken.net/products/racingmultiplate.html

http://www.otomoto.com.au/osgiken/r3c_tri_plate.htm

(Edit)Having just reread your post your power is right on the limit of the biggest Giken twin plate so the triple would be your best option. I am running about 650 so the twin was a no go. The triple discs are unsprung so when it bites it really bites. I am getting better at heel and toe so getting wheel spin on shifts at high speeds is happening less often now.

Edited by Terminator (see edit history)

Hi Mike,

I'm suprised that you think the pedal was heavy.

did I say that?.. my mistake, the pedal is very light, but it's quite aggressive at the end of it's bite. I get used to it and people in the passender seat hardly notice, but my friend took 3 goes to get it out of the petrol station. Chris know the clutch, he's driven the car.

OS Giken twin plate (marginal if it produces a lot of torque and has good traction), or ideally a triple plate Giken. I can sometimes get these at a good price, but the exchange rate is still `orrible. Of all the multi plate clutches for reasonable money the Giken stuff wins hands down. All cerrametallic clutches are consumables though.

Pricey as feck though are they not? Worth every penny im sure though

My rps street max with oem flywheel has been perfect to date, done 14k with a trackday and suprapod chucked in and still performs great, handles everything i can chuck at it,takes plenty of abuse, i dump the clutch in 3rd gear regularly to get the tail sliding.

Even if it failed tomorrow id fit another, i hate noisy twin and triple plate clutches.

I ve had stock, very nice...

then bpu,

put in a giken twin-plate, rattelrattel...

When quick shifting it bangs,

and at the traffic lights you look like a fool who cant drive,

with a rattling car........

altough I begin to like these things a bit,

so I will not sell this clutch.

bought already an original flywheel to try out an rps clutch,

with all the bearings new, even new master and slave cilinder...

I think you only need twin-tripple-plates if you are many days on the circuit...

hks gd pro,best of all world once ur used to it. d

You have been asked nicely to do something about your posting style.

You need to start using proper sentences and punctuation, cut out the txt spk and actually post stuff that makes sense.

I just ran through a number of your posts and they are all drivel.

You also need to be very careful about touting out parts, I believe you are a trader of sorts (but lord knows why somebody would go to you when you plainly dont have a clue).

So start behaving, I wont hesitate to ban you.

i would suggest keeping the stock flyweel mike, have a drive in my car when you got time free and see what you think of the carbon carbon ,,,, its not everyones cup of tea , i hate the noise but it holds the power , 2 years now, drag racing , TOTB and alot of dyno times and it still hold very strong . But its the chatter i hate !!!!! , i just turn the volume up when it drive around town..:D.

i got a few stock flywheels i think in the lockup.

Guest drlee

guess i am history soon then,i didnt know,or mean to up set any one.im not a trader,or anything like,i brake my car a lot,,,my fault i know again,that results in me having to sell whats left,to pay for the thing to keep rolling.sorry guys,me and all this is like me trying to fix my car with a head shrink evaluating my every move.d

Guest drlee

please do,im not horrible.tho apparently i speak a different language.?i love cars, i love my car even more than those other cars.but i love our type of car most.therefore,we like potentially the fastest cars on the planet for less than 30 grand.suggestions otherwise are more than welcome.d

• 8 months later...