The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Any PC wizards?

philstowell

Hi all, i currently use my pc with my lcd tv, i have a nvidia graphics card that has a dvi port on the back, is this how i can utilise hd, at the mo im just using a vga montor cable.

and will i need to download pure hd?

thanks for any help in advance guys.

phill

Pure HD from nvidia is a lot like AVIVO for ATI, and while it is good for marketing, doesn't really do a lot.

You can usually get a DVI to hdmi convertor, however if your motherboard doesn't route the audio to DVI (which most don't unless it is specifically a HTPC style motherboard), then I'd stick to the VGA cable unless you have a real specific reason not to.

HD in the TV world is WAY behind what monitors have been doing for years. Check that you have a decent resolution going to the LCD panel and that will be HD :)

cheers for te reply, but im using my flat screen tv as a monitor, and i have the resolution set as high as it will let me before te tv shows an error along the lines mode unsuported?

i recently got a game and it just comes up with that error message again?

i have decent speakers for my pc so its like surround sound anyhow so audio isnt a drama? just trying to suss out if that cable will sort out my the drama.

thanks for the reply anyway

phill

cheers for te reply, but im using my flat screen tv as a monitor, and i have the resolution set as high as it will let me before te tv shows an error along the lines mode unsuported?

i recently got a game and it just comes up with that error message again?

i have decent speakers for my pc so its like surround sound anyhow so audio isnt a drama? just trying to suss out if that cable will sort out my the drama.

thanks for the reply anyway

phill

You must select resolutions that are compatible with your TV.

xxx by 720 IS HD

xxx x 1080 is as well.

If you go any higher your TV won't be able to handle it. As Gav said, monitors are WAYYYYYYY ahead of tv's.

My 17" monitor on my laptop handles 1440x1280, way past HD resolution.

my resolution is 1360 x 768 at the mo, but i was just wondering, oh i have a nvidia 8600gt,

i have a hd filum on the pc that is dead jumpy when i checked it, it didnt quite look right either, dont know if the cable will sort it or not, any ideas what programme to use, all i have that will open it is vlc?

cheers for all replies

phill

my resolution is 1360 x 768 at the mo, but i was just wondering, oh i have a nvidia 8600gt,

i have a hd filum on the pc that is dead jumpy when i checked it, it didnt quite look right either, dont know if the cable will sort it or not, any ideas what programme to use, all i have that will open it is vlc?

cheers for all replies

phill

Jumpy? What spec is the PC bear in mind HD 264 stuff needs a HEFTY processor to play properly.

This is my current one of choice, it includes coreavc which is by far the best 264 codec going (IMHO)

Sounds like you need a proper codec as well, VLC contains them all but it isn't the most optimized thing going. http://www.free-codecs.com/download/codec.htm

is a amd 64 dual processor, 3 gig ram, 556 ish nidia 8600gt graphics, i dont know what else to put down???

maybe jumpy was wrong to describe but it feezes every couplke of minutes, i dont even know if its the file to be honest.

thanks again for replies tho guys

phill

oh, what proper codec do you recommend?

bugger, time, sorry guys, thanks or replies but im ganna have to scoot for a bit. thanks for ya help so far.

phill