The mkiv Supra Owners Club

cut in power

paul mac

odd thing happened over the weekend, took the car out for a blat as i've been away for a week, hit about 1.2 bar full throttle in 3rd (auto) on a dual carriage way and then had a sudden complete loss of power, very gentle no stutters or bangs as if the ignition or fuel had been cut, the throttle was still wide open so no dump valve or wastegate racket, no warning lights and the AFRs off the scale lean, i let it coast for a few seconds in total confusion then gently tried the thottle and it was fine, tried it a couple of minutes later and full boost was fine, anyone had anything similar

When you say loss of power could it have been the autobox not delivering that power? Or was it definitely the engine not making it?

Could the autobox have gotten a little hot a bothered from the T61?

thats not a bad shout, but no the engine just died as if it were about to cut out, it just went from banzai to tick over no muss no fuss which has really got me baffled

Hmmm, air restriction? Collapsed pipe briefly? ie like the throttle being shut when it wasn't...I realise that you re ran the test but something that would have limited the air supply is the only thing I can think of to cause a gentle non spluttering slow down...

Any smoke out the back? Massive over fuel briefly?

thats not a bad shout, but no the engine just died as if it were about to cut out, it just went from banzai to tick over no muss no fuss which has really got me baffled

That sounds like what was described to me as coming off throttle in an auto. Rather than the engine slowing down with the gearbox the torque-thingy allows the engine to slow down to tickover while the gearbox slows down with the wheels.

Therefor, it sounds like something happened with the throttle control or the gearbox.

I don't know anything about any of these area's so its just a thought.

Hmmm, air restriction? Collapsed pipe briefly? ie like the throttle being shut when it wasn't...I realise that you re ran the test but something that would have limited the air supply is the only thing I can think of to cause a gentle non spluttering slow down...

Any smoke out the back? Massive over fuel briefly?

see what your saying Alex, no smoke, fueling lean, the only thing that could do this would be the intake as all the other pipes are under pressure, i'll have a look

Sorry mate i didnt see that he said Gentle - should of read it properly.

no problem :D

That sounds like what was described to me as coming off throttle in an auto. Rather than the engine slowing down with the gearbox the torque-thingy allows the engine to slow down to tickover while the gearbox slows down with the wheels.

Therefor, it sounds like something happened with the throttle control or the gearbox.

I don't know anything about any of these area's so its just a thought.

hmmm i did momentarily think it had something to do with the transmission but dicounted it as i had my foot flat to the floor so if the torque converter or gearbox had "disconected" surely the engine would have gone banzai and hit the rev limit, i've discounted the throttle as well as if that had slammed shut the wastegate and dump valve would have certainly let me know, i am maybe leaning towards something electrical, maybe RLTC having a fit and cutting all the injectors, i guess i'm going to have to suck it see and see if it does it again :search:

sounds to me like the speed limiter has come back into play some how ! As it dose what you say very soft just lose all power and in 3 you will be at the 112 mark. Happened to me and i though i had killed the car slowed down and nailed it again pulled hard then got to the same point and same thing then looked at the speed and was 120 . i have emu so just enabled it and all good.

sounds to me like the speed limiter has come back into play some how ! As it dose what you say very soft just lose all power and in 3 you will be at the 112 mark. Happened to me and i though i had killed the car slowed down and nailed it again pulled hard then got to the same point and same thing then looked at the speed and was 120 . i have emu so just enabled it and all good.

thanks for all the replies fellas, this really does sound like the symptom and as its many moons ago since i had the 112mph limit i had forgotten all about this, i may have been around this speed

(on a private test track of course) and the speed delimit is about 7 years old so could have gone faulty, this would be the reason it didn't do it again as i never got anywhere near that speed, Alex, no i never got a warning light which if it is the speed limiter i would'nt, cheers Rob i will defo look at this if the speed delimiter prooves ok, thanks guys