The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wheel bearing problem?

probrox

In November I replaced my drivers side rear hub as I believed the wheel bearing was knackered, due to the noise it was making. It has now started to make the same noise again.

Is there anything else which could be causing the noise? It is a grinding noise which occurs once in each rotation of the wheel. I just wondering if there is anything else which could be causing this or if the one i bought was just already on its way out. If it is definately the bearing could there be another fault which is causing this bearing damage?

Have you tried the usual wheel bearing check of trying to move the wheel up/down?

Might be a warped rear disk, they go in a way that one spot of the disk is fatter than the rest so once per rotation is scuffs against the brake pads.

-Ian

Could the hub nut have become loose?

Before I changed the hub the first time the nut was very loose. I tightened it up and the noise went, but it returned about 2 hours later as it had come loose again. I haven't checked it this time, but if it is loose how can I stop this from happening? What could cause it to come loose?

If I can source a used hub and shaft from a working car is this likely to solve the problem? I really can't afford to buy new parts at the moment as much as i'd like to.

Also, if I can get used parts, I know I can use the hub from a tt on an NA but is the shaft the same as well?