The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Looking for low mileage twin turbo

deathmonkey

Hi everyone,

My first post, but I've followed the forum for a while and have decided to finally try and get my 'dream car.'

I wont waste people's time, so basically I'll get down to it.

I'm looking for a TT, with under 50,000 miles, silver or black and with an auto box. Good condition is a must, I'd like leather, and in terms of bodywork, oem/standard is ideal as I'm not big on er... big bodykits.

I'm not looking for big sub installs, new family means I need a boot!

A pretty standard engine setup is perfect, I don't need 900bhp :D but I appreciate most owners do modify the engine in some way. I'm a bit more mature these days and think my boyracing days are behind me, so I'm just looking to own a car I love, not race it.

Ideally I'd like an aerotop, but I appreciate I can't get everything I want.

Hopefully I don't sound too picky, I'm pretty flexible, but it'd be nice to own a Supra how I like it.

I have a maximum price in mind, but just seeing if there are any available at the moment for sale.

I am away with work for about a week, but I should be able to access e-mail. Worst case scenario, I should be able to respond to any contact within a day or 2 maximum.

Thanks for your time,

Andy.

Thanks mate :)

Was going to post in the new members forum first, but wasn't sure whether I should as I don't own a Supra yet!

... that and the fact I don't know 100% what people are talking about so don't want to be like a new kid in school and not have a clue!:D

Guest SupraTroopa

Haha!

Funnily enough, I have noticed both of these - the black Supra looked good, but I've read on another topic that one of the guys test drove it last Friday, and had a bit of a scary-could-be-broken-rear-suspension-when-2nd-turbo-kicked-in moment!

The silver one though, hm...... I like it, I'd change the alloys mind.

Cheers :)

Welcome to the club. :)

It pays to hold out for the car you particularly want bud. Quite a few members have kept looking for up ro six months waiting for the particular car of their choice.

Don't worry about posting in New Members. It's a good way to say hello. :)

Silver model looks very tidy. I don't know the dealer.

Couple of points.

1. GSR. - No model of that kind. So the dealer doesn't know.

2. It was imported in 2004. Check and see if it has the CO2 reading on the V5. If it does you'll have to pay the higher road tax. £400 instead of £185. Still a grey area this, but a fellow member was caned on this point and DVLA wouldn't back down.

3. I looks to have aftermarket suspension. Looks lowered slightly. Maybe good. You would need to get a geometry check. Good bargaining point.

4. 19" wheels tend to wear suspensions faster and affect grip / handling. Good bargaining point.

5. Stock exhaust. Nice to see. Probably means the engine hasn't been messed around with too much and therefore less for you to worry about.

6. Low miles. Very low miles. Ask for import certificates verifying. If correct then this is a bargain.

7. Some lovely standard kit. If those skirts are oem they're 900 quid and rare as.

I'd be looking at this mate.

Well in terms of a wanted post you haven't got for the moon on a stick which makes a change :D

You should be able to get the exact car you want quite easily - aerotop will take more searching though.

Take your time and go look at a few, it is a buyers market afterall.

Welcome to the club Andy! Yes, a refreshingly realistic wish list you have there. Many people say "I want a UK 6 speed, in black, with less than 50,000 miles on the clock", to which we say "good luck!"

Wanting an auto box will widen your catchment pool considerably. Toyota simply made more of them with the auto.

It amazes me that supras that old with less than 50k miles are available. I'd be very very suspicious. That 96 is 13 years old now meaning 3.5k a year. That's not much at all.

My previous Supra was a 1994. When was imported in 2006 it had just 38,000 miles on it but after viewing it even the most sceptical person agreed it was likely to be correct (e.g. Chris Wilson). Not only was wear & tear almost non existent but it came over with service history too. I suspect it had been garaged most of its life and only used in nicer weather as well, for example the discolouring on the plastic headlight lenses was minimal and the engine/underbody hadn't been cleaned but were very, very clean.

Even when I owned it I only did ~4k a year, my current Supra does about 3k a year unless I go to the Ring, in which case it's maybe 5k.

By all means be suspicious, but it's not unheard of for a car to be low miles. Don't forget it was only last year that Jurgen found that TRD3000 with just 12k (IIRC) on it.

Welcome to the club. :)

It pays to hold out for the car you particularly want bud. Quite a few members have kept looking for up ro six months waiting for the particular car of their choice.

Don't worry about posting in New Members. It's a good way to say hello. :)

Silver model looks very tidy. I don't know the dealer.

Couple of points.

1. GSR. - No model of that kind. So the dealer doesn't know.

2. It was imported in 2004. Check and see if it has the CO2 reading on the V5. If it does you'll have to pay the higher road tax. £400 instead of £185. Still a grey area this, but a fellow member was caned on this point and DVLA wouldn't back down.

3. I looks to have aftermarket suspension. Looks lowered slightly. Maybe good. You would need to get a geometry check. Good bargaining point.

4. 19" wheels tend to wear suspensions faster and affect grip / handling. Good bargaining point.

5. Stock exhaust. Nice to see. Probably means the engine hasn't been messed around with too much and therefore less for you to worry about.

6. Low miles. Very low miles. Ask for import certificates verifying. If correct then this is a bargain.

7. Some lovely standard kit. If those skirts are oem they're 900 quid and rare as.

I'd be looking at this mate.

Thanks for your post, exactly the sort of stuff I need to think of when I go to look at a Supra.

I've read a lot about geometry checks, are these expensive, and what do they entail? I've never paid for a geometry check, but I'm willing to get this sort of thing done for a Supra. I'll have a search of the forum in a minute....

As it happens, I got home yesterday from my trip away with work, and will hopefully be checking a Supra this weekend.

Welcome to the club and the best of luck with your search. It's refreshing to not see txt spk in a new member's posting. ;)

Welcome to the club Andy! Yes, a refreshingly realistic wish list you have there. Many people say "I want a UK 6 speed, in black, with less than 50,000 miles on the clock", to which we say "good luck!"

Wanting an auto box will widen your catchment pool considerably. Toyota simply made more of them with the auto.

Well in terms of a wanted post you haven't got for the moon on a stick which makes a change :D

You should be able to get the exact car you want quite easily - aerotop will take more searching though.

Take your time and go look at a few, it is a buyers market afterall.

Just found out how to multiple quote! Thanks guys, hopefully I'll be looking at my own Supra very soon :).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.