The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help, petrol in diesel car

jevansio

Not me :D, my lass has put £1.40 of petrol in her diesel Corsa, she noticed then filled the rest up with £40 of diesel.

What's the score here? Do I need to get the tank drained? Her dad told her it would eventually vapour off & to keep the car topped up as petrol floats on diesel, is this true?

I Hope that that's OK'

As I said that is what someone would do in the past.

Considering you could probably run it on cooking oil I wouldn't have thought the small amount of petrol would affect any sensors on the exhaust side of the Corsa.

Ask around tomorrow, But I think it should be OK.;)

I Hope that that's OK'

As I said that is what someone would do in the past.

Considering you could probably run it on cooking oil I wouldn't have thought the small amount of petrol would affect any sensors on the exhaust side of the Corsa.

Ask around tomorrow, But I think it should be OK.;)

Cooking oil and petrol are two very different liquids! Modern diesel (common rail and EUI etc) fuel injection equipment will not withstand large volumes of petrol due to the lack of lubricity.

In this instance the ratio is very low so should be OK.

Aye should be A OK!

My dad filled his Stype V6 Diesel with Petrol to the brim, and drove for 30mins untill it was missfiring. Drained the tank and lines, changed the fuel filter and filled with diesel... She's still alive :p

Definitely the exception and not a car I would be inclined to keep too long to be safe..... Dealt with too many failed pumps which on strip down had petrol in them to think any different. Admitedly it depends on how persistent the user is to keep the car running and how well the petrol mixes with the diesel.