The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Having this debate at work.

ManwithSupra

Said 6mm bullet will only be travelling at 1006m/s at the muzzle, it starts to slow down after it leaves the barrel therefore your equation would change.

Ok, say it took 0.5 seconds to hit the target....still dropping 0.075m.

Lets also say the dropped bullet takes 0.5 seconds to hit the ground 1.525m away....

I know why I'm wrong, but it sounds good.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:innocent: Say a certain 6mm bullet leaves barrel at 1006 m/s, fired at a target 285m away. It takes around 0.28 seconds to hit said target.

Tables indicate a drop for that bullet of 75mm for that distance.

So in 0.28 seconds, the bullet has dropped 0.075m.

Assuming a bullet dropped from your hand from a height of 1.525m (5 feet) cant travel faster than 9.8 m/s (because gravity doesn't have time to accelerate the fall toward terminal velocity), then it hits the ground in 0.155 seconds.

Or, in 0.28 seconds, it would drop 2.74m.

So, dropped from the hand, it drops 2.665m more than the fired bullet, in the same time.

Even if it took the dropped bullet 0.5 seconds to hit the ground, it would have fallen 0.84m in 0.28 seconds.....still 0.765m more than the fired bullet.

Your maths is wrong I think. Acceleration due to gravity is approx 9.8m/s/s. It's acceleration not velocity. So from a standstill the distance travelled in time t = (9.8 x t squared)/2. So for 0.28s that would be 0.38m. That's not accounting for air resistance of course.

Yup, I used 9.8m/s for the speed up to one second of fall. But as you rightly point out, before one second has elapsed, it has to gather momentum from rest with an acceleration of 9.8m/s2. Therefore....

distance fallen from hand in 0.28 seconds = (0.5) * (9.8 m/s2) * (0.28 s)2 = 0.384 m

distance fallen from hand in 0.5 seconds = (0.5) * (9.8 m/s2) * (0.5 s)2 = 1.225 m

Still though, the longer the fired bullet takes to hit the target and drop 0.075m, the further the additional distance the dropped bullet falls in the same amount of time.

If the fired bullet drop of 0.075m (75mm / 3") is near enough correct over that distance to target, it still doesn't make sense.

I wonder how far a 6ft man/woman could see if they were standing on a boat in perfectly calm sea's before the curvature of the earth would cause the horizon.

4.832 kilometres, assuming his eyes were 6 feet above the waters surface.

I wonder how far a 6ft man/woman could see if they were standing on a boat in perfectly calm sea's before the curvature of the earth would cause the horizon.

6ft = 1828.8mm

1828.8/35mm = 52.25

235*52.25 = 12279m

therefor 12.28km

Distance to horizon = √[h × (2r + h)]

h is height above water in metres.

r is radius of planet (radius of earth is approx 63780 m)

Ahh, you used a different equation. That'll explain it lol. I just took the 35mm as gospel ;)

:innocent: Say a certain 6mm bullet leaves barrel at 1006 m/s, fired at a target 285m away. It takes around 0.28 seconds to hit said target.

Tables indicate a drop for that bullet of 75mm for that distance.

So in 0.28 seconds, the bullet has dropped 0.075m.

Assuming a bullet dropped from your hand from a height of 1.525m (5 feet) cant travel faster than 9.8 m/s (because gravity doesn't have time to accelerate the fall toward terminal velocity), then it hits the ground in 0.155 seconds.

Or, in 0.28 seconds, it would drop 2.74m.

So, dropped from the hand, it drops 2.665m more than the fired bullet, in the same time.

Even if it took the dropped bullet 0.5 seconds to hit the ground, it would have fallen 0.84m in 0.28 seconds.....still 0.765m more than the fired bullet.

You're like the Johnny Ball of mkivsupra.net! :)