The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Woohoo! Weight loss goal achieved!

Homer

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i didnt want to go on a diet to loose weight, so i cut down on food, snack in the morning, dinner late in the evening with alot of weight training through the days, within 3 weeks i lost a hell of alot of weight and gained a nice upper tone to:D, from being chubby im now just over average in build, but well done to ya

Good man. Top results.

I wouldn’t personally pay much attention to the BMI for various reasons, one of them being the creation date - Around the 1830's.

I am technically dead man walking as I literally scale off the chart. There were not many men of my size back in 1830.

People as a whole are larger beings then in the 1800’s. Making BMI both misleading and dated.

:)

Good man. Top results.

I wouldn’t personally pay much attention to the BMI for various reasons, one of them being the creation date - Around the 1830's.

I am technically dead man walking as I literally scale off the chart. There were not many men of my size back in 1830.

People as a whole are larger beings then in the 1800’s. Making BMI both misleading and dated.

1830s by some Belgian I believe, and I agree with you. BMI is about as useful as a chocolate teapot if you're not the average build/height for a man/woman in 1830. Doesn't take into account build or body/bone mass.

I'm guessing you're 'morbidly obese' on the BMI?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/17/bmi_rubbish/

Is a fairly good article. I think the media is still pimping BMI and it's a really outdated metric. Much prefer a body stat test where you get a true breakdown of water/muscle/fat mass.

So Homer, when is the Homer diet regime/fitness video coming out? :)

Good man. Top results.

1830s by some Belgian I believe, and I agree with you. BMI is about as useful as a chocolate teapot if you're not the average build/height for a man/woman in 1830. Doesn't take into account build or body/bone mass.

I'm guessing you're 'morbidly obese' on the BMI?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/17/bmi_rubbish/

Is a fairly good article. I think the media is still pimping BMI and it's a really outdated metric. Much prefer a body stat test where you get a true breakdown of water/muscle/fat mass.

So Homer, when is the Homer diet regime/fitness video coming out? :)

I was under the impression BMI was a relatively new thing, seeing as everyone is banging on about it now and I'd never heard it mentioned a few years ago...

I think you have to have been seriously overweight and lost a significant amount to have excess skin.

I know people who have lost a couple of stone and have excess skin, some who have lost 5 stone+ and have none. Key is to lose ALL the fat apparently. Skin sticks to 'something' so if you are still carrying a cm or so of fat it will stick to that, if it's muscle it will stick to that and look tighter, supposedly. Plus it may take a while to shrink back altogether - think about women after having kids, their stomachs can take a couple of years to go back if at all.

It also depends on your age, how long you were overweight to start with, how fast you lose it and your natural type of skin.

At the end of the day you're better off not overweight and with a bit of excess skin.

Well done mate! That is a bloody fantastic achievement :) I've really noticed the difference in you over the past 18 months, I knew you would do it.

I'm a little sad though, 'Big Homer' and 'Big Burna' hugs will never be the same again :( and lets both make sure they are never 'Big' again mate! :D

Haha, cheers Burna :D You did a brilliant job on the weight loss, almost didn't recognise you at Japfest last year - until you opened your gob :p

And they are Manly hugs I tell ya!

Lol, maybe Side Show Bob :D

If only I had the hair for it :innocent:

You're absolutely right Axle! When first starting this I used the BMI (in ignorance) to set a target weight to get to, it wasn't until reading up on the bodybuilding forums over many months that I realised it was pretty meaningless in terms of actual healthy weight. However, the goal weight remained, just now need to focus less on the losing fat and more on improving fitness levels.

Haha, suprisingly he wasn't pm-ing me to ask me out haha!!

You never know Rosie, might surprise you one day :p

Joking aside, have you got excess skin or has it shrunk back. You see people that lose loads of weight left with folds of excess stretched skin after :blink:

Good question Paul as a few have asked this. No, none at all thankfully! The weight loss was reasonably consistent and not a dramatic one like those that have things like gastric bands have. It all seems to have gone back to where it should be, but see the reply from supragal as it explains it better.

Well done its a great feeling isn't it ?

Now the hard part begins - keeping it off ;)

I think you have to have been seriously overweight and lost a significant amount to have excess skin.

There is no rule to it some get excess skin and some don't height plays a part as does where the weight tends to sit on the person.