The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Woohoo! Weight loss goal achieved!

Homer

Well, after over 18 months I'm now, according to body mass index, "normal" weight :D (6ft & 13st 1lb)

Big moment for me as it's taken a lot of hard dedication and commitment to get to this stage. Thought it was worth a mention here as many of us have been discussing weight loss and many people here have offered superb advice and support over the past 18 months :thumbs:

A little background...

In about June 2007 I was diagnosed (incorrectly it turns out) with gout and high blood pressure and was basically told to lose weight otherwise I'd be looking at a heart attack in the next 10 years. Not good when you're only 30! After not being on a set of scales for a year or so, I was shocked to find out I was 18 stone 8lb (260 pounds). Obviously I knew I'd put on a fair bit of weight, but never so much!

After I'd got over the shock of that, it was clear that I needed not just a diet, but a change in lifestyle and approach to food.

A week later I got measured up for a suit for my sisters wedding and had another shock, chest size 49inches, waist size 44.5 inches. Ouch!, The suit looked more like a parachute when it turned up :D

So after reading up on the net, talking to family, friends and some fellow club members I had a pretty good idea what I should be eating, embarked on some mild cardio exercise (exercise bike) and stopped eating any junk food/take-aways.

Apart from a 10 month gap in the middle when I was more or less abroad all the time, it's been consistent weight loss month on month and finally, this week hit the seemingly impossible target I’d set back in June 07 :D

I was sad enough to keep an excel sheet which has been updated every week, this has been a huge motivation and has really helped. Some stats from it:

June 2007

Weight: 260 pounds

Chest 49 inches

Waist: 44.5 inches

Stomach: 49 inches (!!)

BMI: 35.3 (morbidly obese)

April 2009

Weight: 183 pounds (77 pounds or 5st 7lb or 30% loss)

Chest: 41.5 inches (7.5 inch loss)

Waist: 38 inches (6.5 inch loss)

Stomach: 39 inches (10 inch loss!)

BMI: 24.8 (normal)

So, there you go, long post but thought it might help motivate anyone who is considering losing weight or changing their lifestyle. It is absolutely worth the effort doing it. I feel great now, no more tiredness, no more mood swings, FAR more active and am able to perform much better at work now. What’s more, no more gout, though blood pressure is still a little high :rolleyes: Can't have it all I guess!

and No, I am not posting pictures of before and after :D

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic