The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cheap insurance for 18yo female required

roboldham

You're best for her to get her own policy, yeh it's going to be expensive for the first year, but it will drop dramatically for the second (providing there aren't any claims!) Otherwise when she DOES get her own policy, she'll have 0NCB to take forward and will have to start from scratch again!

I had 4 years NCB with Direct Line, 3 of those were on a named driver policy to save money, and when I tried to take them forward to use, Direct Line shot me in the leg and left me with only 1NCB to start a new policy with!

It stings now, but she'll be better off in the long term with her own policy dude.

my first years insurance at the age of 18 on a 1.2 punto with no mods was £1255 my second year was just under £800 after that 3rd year was £300 it goes down dramatically. right now for my NA supra im paying £600 with sky insurance. its best to get her on her own policy.

I found trying to insure myself as a named driver was more expensive! :blink:

try quinn insurance. google search. they are not well known but i had them for my second and third year.

I had 4 years NCB with Direct Line, 3 of those were on a named driver policy to save money, and when I tried to take them forward to use, Direct Line shot me in the leg and left me with only 1NCB to start a new policy with!

Why did they only give you 1 year NCB, when you'd accrued 4 years? Me and my girlfriend are with DirectLine, hence my interest. :)

Why did they only give you 1 year NCB, when you'd accrued 4 years? Me and my girlfriend are with DirectLine, hence my interest. :)

Please bare in mind that no one apart from Diect Line recognise these 'NCB' officially.

I guess he was moving to another insurer and the "Named Driver" NCB weren't honoured.

Ollie any comment on my previous question ?

Mike

I guess he was moving to another insurer and the "Named Driver" NCB weren't honoured.

Ah, I mis-read his post in that case. I'm fully expecting that in order to use the named driver NCB, we'll need to insure the car with Direct Line for the first year to convert it to proper NCB.

I'm fully expecting that in order to use the named driver NCB, we'll need to insure the car with Direct Line for the first year to convert it to proper NCB.

I thought that. First 3 years were named driver, 4th year was my own policy. I was expecting them to be conveeted into full NCBs once that year was over, but they aren't, that's why I was so annoyed! Insurance is all a scam! Named driver bonuses are fake. They're just pretend NCBs that only the same insurance group recognise. It's a con!

Take the hit and get your own policy ASAP. You will probably get the best deal from Direct Line due to your fake NCB, but just that's a carrot dangling infront of your face to lead you back to them! Use it to keep your policy cheaper while you get a real NCB, but after that, you wont have 2NCB, only 1 (and your fake NCB) which will make Direct Line the cheapest insurer for you AGAIN! You can either stay with them for a cheaper policy, or go with someone else and take your 1NCB with you.

Yar, insurance is all smoke and mirrors, always has been - the only way for it not to be is to live in a communist state where the insurance is insurance and not somebody's profit margin - but we don't want that do we?

Anyway - thanks for all the input folks - have decided to go with the cheapest deal in her own name so she can start earning her own NCB, bit if a leg up.

It was with Direct Line and was £1067 - cheaper next year fingers crossed!

R

What engine has the corolla got? I was paying 1400 for my first car at that age it was a 1.4 litre Peugeot 306 and I was a named driver under my mum and that's the cheapest I could get so to be fair just over a grand is probably the lowest you'll get !