The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cheap insurance for 18yo female required

roboldham

Hi folks

We've just had the new au pair start and I can't believe the price of insurance for new drivers!

She's only just 18 (March) and only just passed her test (Feb) and I'm trying to get her insured, only driver, on an L reg Corolla - worth about £600, third party FT.

Best price is about £1800 - bloody stupid!

Anyone know any good insurance companies / ideas?

TIA

Cheers

R

Cheaper but it is called fronting. Insurance companies and Police are getting more and more wise to this.. especially young drivers with modified cars, insured under mummy or daddy's name.

Ollie, can you clear something up for me on this. How are you supposed to insure a car in the following scenario...

A while ago (not the same situation anymore as my father doesn't drive at the moment) I tried to insure the following.

I am the owner of a car, my father was to be the main driver and I would drive the car very infrequently. He had his own No-claims bonus, but it was no longer attached to any vehicle - he'd sold his.

When I initially tried to insure the car in his name using his NCB I was told that only the owner of the vehicle can insure it, and that I could not use his NCB at all. As my NCB are attached to the Supra I had to start again on the other vehicle, with him only as a named driver, but obviously main driver. His full NCB entitlement subsequently expired.

How does this differ to what was suggested to Rob earlier in the thread as Rob obviously owns the car? Or in your own example if mummy or daddy OWN the young driver's modified car?

Thanks

Mike

Cheaper but it is called fronting. Insurance companies and Police are getting more and more wise to this.. especially young drivers with modified cars, insured under mummy or daddy's name.

Surely its down to insurance companies to change the way they price policies then in order to stop it from happening? Ive never really understood it anyway, ive had my dad insured as a named driver on my car for years, and he's probably only driven it a couple of times, yet it offers a reduction in price? Bizarre.

Guest SupraTroopa

I found admiral good for young drivers. Or there's this company that my mate used to use called youngdrivers4u (or similar name, cant quite remember) which he said was cheap.

Well Direct Line winning so far - £964 in my name with au pair as named driver (but I guess she wont earn proper NCB) and £1067 for her as only driver....

Still pricey but better than the £1800+ of earlier!

R

try admiral.

id try bell or admiral iv always used them as they've been the best for me. Even better is if you go with bell and au pair goes first driver you can select an extra, think its about 30 quid for the year, and it lets her drive any other car 3rd party. Bell are the only ones that seem to do it as you need to be over 25 to get it from most companies....

Ok, done Diamond, done Bell, done Admiral - their online quoting sites look suspiciously similar - just different logos / colours - oh, and suspiciously similar prices - all as high as most other peeps. I rang them up and they said yes, they essentially were the same company "rating different things slightly differently" - just some money mens marketing statistics going on - bloody insurance market as smoke and mirrors as the banking sector.

Glad I'm not 18 and trying to insure my first motor!

So - Direct Line "best" so far, followed closely by Churchill!

R

Ollie, can you clear something up for me on this. How are you supposed to insure a car in the following scenario...

A while ago (not the same situation anymore as my father doesn't drive at the moment) I tried to insure the following.

I am the owner of a car, my father was to be the main driver and I would drive the car very infrequently. He had his own No-claims bonus, but it was no longer attached to any vehicle - he'd sold his.

When I initially tried to insure the car in his name using his NCB I was told that only the owner of the vehicle can insure it, and that I could not use his NCB at all. As my NCB are attached to the Supra I had to start again on the other vehicle, with him only as a named driver, but obviously main driver. His full NCB entitlement subsequently expired.

How does this differ to what was suggested to Rob earlier in the thread as Rob obviously owns the car? Or in your own example if mummy or daddy OWN the young driver's modified car?

Thanks

Mike

Not quite the same scenario, but my company car is insured in my name and my documents just state that I am neither the owner or the registered keeper.

Vicki x