The mkiv Supra Owners Club

American muscle

P 17EED

Im tempted into buying an american muscle car but not to sure what i would like.

I love the v8 sound, and the looks of them. Anyone got any ideas?

Obviously i would love an eleanor but thats to much, i would like to spend 4k max. Im very happy to do work on it so doesnt have to be mint.

Any ideas? Any decent sites to check out? just something im thinking about at the moment.

Cheers Peter

Z28 Camaro, cheap US muscle ;)

late 90's camaro. I seen a picture of a black one all kitted up for the silver state classic and it looked very mean. All it needs is a big SC sticking out of the bonnet!

Yes been looking at some of them.

1968 Mercury Cougar mmmmmmmm......

That looks expensive, its the sort of shape i would like.

TBH, 4k won't buy much in the way of muscle these days. The old stuff is ok if you don't mind driving something that needs regular attention (you need to be farily competent at getting 'under the hood') and they drink fuel. Don't get caught in traffic on a hot day in something old either - it'll boil over!

Camaros are ok I guess, but they're not even close to quick if you're used to driving a Supra. With the right exhaust they'll sound nice, but don't decat it without knowing what you're doing as it'll throw fault codes all over the place as they have 4 O2 sensors - 2 before the cats and 2 after. (one for each bank) Don't expect too much in the way of handling from anything old either - it'll feel like a feather bed compared to modern stuff. Come to think of it, some modern American cars don't handle too much better either.

I might drive a C6 Corvette and rate it as an extremely capable car, but as far as I'm concerned, most other American stuff is kack. The new Mustangs look great and drive ok - I'd be very tempted by one of those or maybe a late-ish Viper, but other than that I'm not a fan of most American cars. The sludge auto boxes and wallowy handling just annoy me after the first 5 minutes. Sorry!

For £4k you will not get much at all. It's only going to be old and undesirable cars for that sort of money and ones in not to good of a state. You will need to be a pretty competent mechanic to keep it going and have the money available for parts.

I can't think of anything that's worth the bother with that sort of price really, unless you settle for something not so 'cool'.

Old Firebird maybe? Pretty slow, handles like a barge and kills fuel, but sounds like hell on earth :D

I was going to say i saw a stunning Saleen Mustang in the local American garage quite a few months ago for only 20k but then i saw you budget of 4k :D

Reason i say is that was before the econonmy hit the fan, so what would that 20k be now?

(p.s - approx 06 reg from memory?)

A friend at work is selling a Chevvy Camaro. I think it's 2001/2002 plate, 24k miles on the clock, admittedly it s the 3.8L V6. Pearlescent (excuse the spelling) blue/green.

He wants £3k ono for it. Want me to get you more details?

Anyone down souf know anything about Newport Imports in Maidstone?

I imported my Supra through them 6 years ago. Great service etc, although the advert stated UK brakes but got Jap ones instead and being new to the Supra I only noticed about a year after. Make sure you get what's advertised.