The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Chernobyl - how it is now

creative

No, but there was few situations that visitors had to throw out shoes at airport because of radioactive alarm :) That's what walking on moss is causing :p

Trip I'm going to is organized by explorer's club. They have the knowledge and contacts in Ukraine, so we can spend lot more time in interesting places like Prypriat instead of doing usual boring walkaround. Standard tourist company will give you only 3 hours there and you cannot really feel atmosphere of the place in 1 day trip - too many places, not enough time :)

I also think that this time they will try to get us through military outposts and see "Eye of Moscow". Can't wait! :)

did you read a few further pages in, the guys done a video including footage he shot while there..

amazing stuff, i would love to visit myself one day..

Also, I have to say it looks amazingly like the section on call of duty four thats model'd after it. Im amazed tbh!

Fascinating in a very surreal way. I remember this quite vividly and we still have the children of the parents come to Devon for respite holidays. There is a legacy of illness that will make you cry. Very very sad and a tragedy which could have almost been catastrophic for virtually all of N Europe. This one of the closest shaves we have ever had.

http://www.chernobylchildlifeline.org/

http://www.chernobyl-children.org.uk/

official figures say that only 5% of children in the Chernobyl region are healthy.

Wow! thanks mate... that's so interesting.

I've never had the inkling to go and visit.. and now I think I might.

OK, I can see why but may I make a suggestion to anyone thinking about this. Why not spend the equivalent on supporting a charity for Chernobyl rather that go and gawp at the damage. Or failing that set aside some of the cash you would spend on yourself and help the kids. Give up a few meals out whilst you are there etc.

I am not having a dig at anyone. My thought is that it would be a great thing to do.

Why not spend the equivalent on supporting a charity for Chernobyl rather that go and gawp at the damage.

No way! I give enough to Charity every month on Direct Debit/Standing Order.

Why not stay at home and give all your money to everyone else? :p

No way! I give enough to Charity every month on Direct Debit/Standing Order.

Why not stay at home and give all your money to everyone else? :p

Like you I too support charity. In my case its Foot and Mouth Painting Artists and the RNLI. However, I was not having a dig at anyone. I was saying that for visitors it might be a holiday but for those still there its a living nightmare. I am just trying to add a bit of perspective and balance.

TBH Mike, I would like to go too.. Its somewhere that I feel needs to be remembered and its clearly been neglected / forgotten about for far too long.

With regards charitys they are an essential part of the solution I totally agree, However I wouldnt say its money better spent. I think raising the profile of the site with visits will keep it in the publics eye, rather than just being yet another appeal by yet another charity. It makes it all the more direct if you can visualise what went on.

It also helps with regards bringing it to the attention of the general public. If you read through the post in the original link those images went on to be featured in national newspapers, and dozens of media website's. that particular topic at one stage also had just over 1600 people reading it at one time i think i read somewhere on there. So with respect I see what you mean about rather than visiting simply give the dosh to charity, but having said that I cant think of a better example of the power of seeing something for yourself and the positive impact that has clearly had on the media and public in that case.

Anyways, jsut my thoughts, And I still wanna go visit one day. :)

Now, I think im gonn ahave a go on COD4, it is amazingly similar!!

It makes it all the more direct if you can visualise what went on.

We do, the host families come to S. Devon and it is in our local papers and Church pamphlets quite a bit. The Churches help the host families out and a fair number of people get involved.

I can see the attraction of going there but not as a 'theme park' visitor. That does not sit right with me for some reason.

well in your case that may be the case but i imagine your in a unique position, to the everyday joe, he wouldnt expect a russian to turn up at his door if he donated a small ammount to charity. therefor going and seeing it for yourself is a good thing IMO. and like proven, its not a waste of the expense involved if it helps raise public awareness, as the original post has done if you read through it :)

I didnt once suggest attending as a "theme park" and I dont think anyone else did either tbh!

well in your case that may be the case but i imagine your in a unique position, to the everyday joe, he wouldnt expect a russian to turn up at his door if he donated a small ammount to charity. therefor going and seeing it for yourself is a good thing IMO. and like proven, its not a waste of the expense involved if it helps raise public awareness, as the original post has done if you read through it :)

I didnt once suggest attending as a "theme park" and I dont think anyone else did either tbh!

I too am raising public awareness but about a different and equally important matter. I dont recall any of the pics or text from the original post said anything about the long term implications. It is implied but easily forgotten.

I agree with your arguement and I would hate anyone to see it as a 'theme park' but undoubtedly some will. I can't help that. Its the same reason people slow down at accidents.

For anyone interested this is the sort of thing that happens down here for the kids. They get to go on the beach, go to the Circus, Fairs etc. They reckon a months holiday away from all the crap at home adds two years life span to these kids.

http://www.thisissouthdevon.co.uk/news/Appeal-holiday-hostsarticle-457640-details/article.html

I too am raising public awareness but about a different and equally important matter.

Yup and thats a really good thing, I support what your doing for others, I jsut think that visiting in most cases will also help hit home the reality of the tragedy. Sadly as you say there will always be the minority that go looking for something else BUT, thats the way of the world isn it. In an ideal world the thing should never of happened IMO, but it did. You raise a lot of valid points but I think visits on the whole are a powerful reminder of the tragedy and therefor a good thing, they can only help raise public awareness and increase contributions to charity work.

:)

Yup and thats a really good thing, I support what your doing for others, I jsut think that visiting in most cases will also help hit home the reality of the tragedy. Sadly as you say there will always be the minority that go looking for something else BUT, thats the way of the world isn it. In an ideal world the thing should never of happened IMO, but it did. You raise a lot of valid points but I think visits on the whole are a powerful reminder of the tragedy and therefor a good thing, they can only help raise public awareness and increase contributions to charity work.

:)

I agree with you quite strongly. Visits can be a powerful reminder of the tragedy and therefore a good thing. It puts scale on things which never comes across from the pages of a book or a TV screen. There is a lot to be said for hearing the silence and feeling the emptiness in these places.